Tamiya tiger 1 controls

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
triple1956
Recruit

Tamiya tiger 1 controls

Post by triple1956 »

Hi I am about to take delivery of my first tank a tamiya tiger 1 which has been built for me I have purchased a radio link 8 channel transmitter and receiver I also have a spektrum dx6i.
The person who built the tank for me is having problems setting up the radio so I don't have to use the trim to fire main gun and machine gun, tank works fine using 4 channel futaba but you have to move the trim. Any help would be appreciated
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tamiya tiger 1 controls

Post by jarndice »

If you go to the Introduce yourself page you can introduce yourself to the Forum first,
Nothing too deep, just where in the World are you and what got your interest in this hobby,
I am sure you get the gist.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

The trick is to set the radio end points to 75% an then run the set up of the DMD - for the tiger you only need to do this on the channel that you intend to work the guns on, for the Pershing and KV its a bit more complicated.
Once you have calibrated the DMD you can put the radio back to 100% and then the extra functions will be available - basically you are fooling the DMD into thinking that you have shifted the trims to get 125% travel by using the full throw of the stick. The elevation function will still work, its just available at half travel.

A word of caution - Sometimes I find that no matter what I do some DMD units refuse to give me the same sensitivity to MG and main gun inputs, so when your builder is doing the setup you should probably tell him you priority. I like to battle my tanks, so I will always weight the trim towards being able to fire the main gun reliably on demand.
triple1956
Recruit

Post by triple1956 »

Many thanks for that information I have forwarded this on to the builder
Ritchie7
Recruit

Post by Ritchie7 »

Message for Tiger6 or any other helpful guy who can help resolve this issue.
I am the builder in question of triple1956's tank. Thanks to Tiger6 for the detailed info but can I ask what type of Tx you are using, is it a 4ch or 6ch and what make.
I have been having a lot of trouble using the customers preferred choice of Radiolink Tx & 8ch Rec to set this tank up. However I tried a new Futaba 4ch and I can get the tank to work perfectly well in firing the Main gun and the machine gun by moving the trim to its full extent both up and down to fire both guns. excuse my ignorance but when you say end points are you referring to the trim or the actual stick?
Thanks
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Any cheap 4ch radio will work, that radiolink will work too. You even can trigger the cannon with that old futaba without touching the trims. You only need to calibrate the tamiya unit.

More info here and in your tank manual.
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=27272
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I'm using Spektrum DX6i's, the function is called "travel adj" in the menu. I am not familiar with the Radiolink products.
You can only use the 4 stick channels with the Tamiya system, any extra switches and knobs on the radio are useless.

Rad is also correct - the short cut method is to not move the sticks through the full travel when calibrating the DMD, if you are unable to adjust the travel in the Radiolink set up screens.
triple1956
Recruit

Post by triple1956 »

Hi all , my tiger radio set up is now sorted many thanks for all the help, and also those from the Pershing post that also chipped in, many thanks again

Return to “General Questions”