Tamiya Pershing contrrols

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tamiya Pershing contrrols

Post by Tiger6 »

In order to get drive you first need to go to full reverse (at full trim travel) - the newer Tamiya's have a safety feature to stop you from accidentally shooting off if the trims or sticks aren't centered properly when you switch on. Once you have reved it fully in reverse and returned the sticks to neutral, you should be able to drive away. If all else fails I'll take a look next club meeting :thumbup:
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Ad Lav wrote:You did the dmd setup correctly with all trims and channels set to middle and N.
I think this is the issue as the dmd does not give the dual green flashing LEDs at the end of the stick sequence.

Tiger6 - the engine will not rev at all...

I’ll be at the next GLAD meet in a few weeks, so I may have to take you up on your offer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Engage drive by revving tank a bit then flicking throttle channel right back. I had the same problem with my Pershing. I set up all channels on the dmd at about 75 percent and got guns and lights working. Couldn’t get throttle to engage. The solution for me was to reverse the throttle channel. Mine was reversed so pulling the stick right back was effectively moving it in the wrong direction
In short
Set up dmd at 75 percent
Make sure throttle Chanel is not reversed
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

I've got plenty of these things sitting here on the shelf, we should be able to figure out what is up with it :thumbup:
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Ta!

If I swap the throttle to Ch3 then I get the engine reving and can engage drive.

However, none of the other channels work.

I think I may just start from scratch again on the Tx...

Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Alright, sounds like I'll have to bring spares to mix and match bits until we can find out what is going wrong
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Tiger6 wrote:Alright, sounds like I'll have to bring spares to mix and match bits until we can find out what is going wrong
Ta, I think (after waking up too early this morning) that channel 1&2 on the Rx are duff as there just isn’t a signal being acted on.

I’ll do some troubleshooting with servos later today and re-solder the pins too...

jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Err, yeah - right... :think:

Just move on and ignore, in my defence I'm usually a SBUS kinda guy.

I *may* have been plugging in channels 3-6 rather than 1-4 in my PWM 6 channel FrSky XMR - I realise that there is little hope and I hereby offer my apologies for time and brain space wasting! :crazy:

I'll now go and have a nice rest and take the tablets...
h5djr
Recruit

Post by h5djr »

I have a Tamiya Tiger 1 which I built in 2002, It is controlled by a Futaba 4VF-FM Skysport 4 radio. In 2005 I obtained a set of instructions on how to convert the Futaba transmitter for independent control of the machine gun and main gun. This basically gives me two buttons on the top rear of the transmitter which, when pressed, operate the machine gun and main gun. It involves wiring the push button switches in parallel with the top and bottom trim pots that are assigned to the machine and main guns.

The mod works very well and enables the guns to be operated without needing to move either of the trim levers. I don't know if this will work on the latter Futaba transmitters but if anyone is interested in a copy of the instructions (4 pages) just sent me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.
Ritchie7
Recruit

Post by Ritchie7 »

Hi Guys, can I just say to everyone that has made comments/suggestions on how to set up the main gun and machine gun, thanks very much for your help and advice, especially percy1510, who after digesting all comments, I finally got it to work by setting up the 75% and 125% scenario and achieved success.
Thanks again to all the guys that helped, a tad frustrating but I go there in the end.
All the best to you all, here's to the next tank project LOL

Return to “General Questions”