Last few Questions for the Panther Ausf D

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
STHV
Corporal

Last few Questions for the Panther Ausf D

Post by STHV »

Does anyone make 1/16 metal Early Panther sprocket wheels with the "doughnut" type hub? like that on the Breda Panther D in this image?

Would this be Historically accurate for a mid production (HL 210) Ausf D? i am not certain as the stowage bins have heat shields on them to protect the contents but the Jerry cans with fuel are closer to the exhausts and don't have a shield (I am curious as only the late Ausf D and early A had the jack mount rotated 90 degrees with the handle facing up but the image says it is an early D so i am not sure if it is accurate)

What colour was the early Panthers rear reflector? The Ausf D in War Thunder has a yellow reflector but there are numerous errors in the model due to its age so i am not sure if it is correct or not

Was this Panther build ever finished? and are there any other 1/16 rc Panther Ausf D's out there? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1378&hilit=Ausf+D

Finally what RAL colours are used in this Panther camo and what do you think of the camo in general? ( I think the base coat is RAL 7028 but i could be wrong)

If i can sort these out i will be almost ready to begin the build (just need a few 3d printed parts like the cupola etc)
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Last few Questions for the Panther Ausf D

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Trumpeter Panther 'D' sprocket looks similar. It certainly has the two bolts in the correct position; but I've not been able to find a closeup detailed enough to show the welded circle; that which creates the 'doughnut' appearance. Maybe it's not there, but it wouldn't be had to simulate, anyway. I think. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

On the Jerry cans, don't assume they are fuel. They can be water cans as well. The Panthers were notorious for overheating and the crews always kept an extra supply of water for the rads. And don't forget to add a bucket or two...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

43rdRecceReg wrote:The Trumpeter Panther 'D' sprocket looks similar. It certainly has the two bolts in the correct position; but I've not been able to find a closeup detailed enough to show the welded circle; that which creates the 'doughnut' appearance. Maybe it's not there, but it wouldn't be had to simulate, anyway. I think. :think:
Just had a look at the Trumpeter Panther it is an Ausf G and uses the late model flat sprocket wheel caps
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

STHV wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:The Trumpeter Panther 'D' sprocket looks similar. It certainly has the two bolts in the correct position; but I've not been able to find a closeup detailed enough to show the welded circle; that which creates the 'doughnut' appearance. Maybe it's not there, but it wouldn't be had to simulate, anyway. I think. :think:
Just had a look at the Trumpeter Panther it is an Ausf G and uses the late model flat sprocket wheel caps
Ahh..looks as if I mixed the 1/35 "D' version with Trumpeter's latest (2018/19) Trumpeter 'G' offering. I had a look at Christian Ludwig's accessories for the 'A' and 'D' series, but he only has the later sprocket covers.
He does have lots of useful bits, though, if your object is to customise your tank. :|
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Pantherzubehoer.html
It wouldn't be very difficult to scratch build the wheel covers, but the sprocket is quite another matter. :problem: You may be out of luck with off-the-shelf parts.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
STHV wrote:
Ahh..looks as if I mixed the 1/35 "D' version with Trumpeter's latest (2018/19) Trumpeter 'G' offering. I had a look at Christian Ludwig's accessories for the 'A' and 'D' series, but he only has the later sprocket covers.
He does have lots of useful bits, though, if your object is to customise your tank. :|
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Pantherzubehoer.html
It wouldn't be very difficult to scratch build the wheel covers, but the sprocket is quite another matter. :problem: You may be out of luck with off-the-shelf parts.
I actually have some of Christians parts already, I am using his 3mm metal Panther D upper hull and backplate along with the Ausf D side skirts, a flexible antenna base and some nice metal stowage bins

I have two sets of Taigen sprockets currently as the early idler wheels came with a pair the main problem i see is the bolts on the wheel are far too close together so i may need to get them printed in aluminium on shapeways or something but that will be expensive
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)

Return to “General Questions”