LiPo battery orientation

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
afterdark
Recruit

LiPo battery orientation

Post by afterdark »

Not sure I if I have this in the right forum so sorry in advance if I haven't!

Does it matter which way you orient the LiPo batteries? I am having a few space issues in my design - each battery is 190 x 85 x 55mm (6S 16,000mAh) and I would really like to be able to lay then on their side (55mm face) if possible

While I am here - I am kinda expecting the motors and ESC's to run quite warm under load - what sort of heat to the batteries give off typically? I know they are designed to deliver high current but do they get really hot while doing so?

Hoping to update my build thread later tonight with my reworked designs so fee free to have a lookie - comments welcome

Many thanks as always

Ad
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: LiPo battery orientation

Post by RobW »

You need to keep the leads at the "lower" end to make sure the electrons can drain out OK. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

RobW wrote:You need to keep the leads at the "lower" end to make sure the electrons can drain out OK. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
:haha:
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

afterdark wrote:Not sure I if I have this in the right forum so sorry in advance if I haven't!

Does it matter which way you orient the LiPo batteries? I am having a few space issues in my design - each battery is 190 x 85 x 55mm (6S 16,000mAh) and I would really like to be able to lay then on their side (55mm face) if possible

While I am here - I am kinda expecting the motors and ESC's to run quite warm under load - what sort of heat to the batteries give off typically? I know they are designed to deliver high current but do they get really hot while doing so?

Orientation has no bearing, put them how they fit best taking care not to bend and snag wires.
Hoping to update my build thread later tonight with my reworked designs so fee free to have a lookie - comments welcome

Many thanks as always

Ad
afterdark
Recruit

Post by afterdark »

RobW wrote:You need to keep the leads at the "lower" end to make sure the electrons can drain out OK. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
ok, I guess I asked for that! :)

Better safe that sorry, though, right? especially when dealing with many hundreds of amps LOL!
RobW

Post by RobW »

Sorry, couldn't resist. As Tom says, doesn't matter but don't over discharge them (get a warning gizmo) and charge in a bag.
afterdark
Recruit

Post by afterdark »

will do! do they get warm when discharging?
RobW

Post by RobW »

Not particularly, but if you over discharge you'll damage the structure so they'll not recharge & may fail (spectacularly or otherwise). You can get voltage warning boards pretty cheaply off Ebay, check https://www.rctankelectronics.com/ (Tankbear - Ian) on here too.
Vertigo
Private

Post by Vertigo »

As you mentioned how they go wrong:- when they go wrong they can also gas and inflate so allow some room 10% ? so the extra load wont break your tank.

Return to “General Questions”