HL airsoft barrel in servo recoil unit

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AshMann
Corporal

HL airsoft barrel in servo recoil unit

Post by AshMann »

Hello, i was wondering if an airsoft barrel from an HL panther would work in a Clark servo recoil unit? Would i have to modify it in some way?
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
HL: 2 M4A3 105s , Panther ausf G, M41
Taigen: Tiger 1
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HL airsoft barrel in servo recoil unit

Post by Jofaur86 »

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Clark recoil/elevation unit comes with just one breech size, so far as I know. So, it's the job of the modeller to modify the breech assembly; to make the unit accommodate the barrel and not vice versa. At least, that was my experience with the Clark unit. I guess some would say it's much simpler to use the IR/Recoil/Flash type barrel than the airsoft one, you have... :think: But if you're saving the pennies....
Anyway, with a barrel whose diameter is greater than that of the unit's breech, it's simply easier to enlarge the breech, than slim the barrel down.
This can be achieved, by reaming the unit out with abrasive paper (wrapped around a rod of some sort), or files that work well on plastics. Or..well.. whatever you find that works. :) In any event, the Clark unit needs quite a bit of sanding to get it to work smoothly.
A small diameter barrel would require a sleeve in the breech to reduce the bore, and in all cases, the barrel will have to be bonded, or pinned to the breech assembly somehow. :think:
Here's a Clark unit in my Cromwell turret:
Hope this gives you food for thought.. :thumbup:
Note: I had to make the trunnions supporting the gun, for this model. Mounting the gun+recoil can be a real head-scratcher, unless there's a readily available adaptor on the market (even the Tank's original one, but modified to suit)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jofaur86 wrote::D
Youtube :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=204&t=26468
:thumbup:
Yes, Stian is a bit if a genius. He also puts together nicely edited, and instructive, videos. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Jofaur86 wrote::D
Youtube :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=204&t=26468
:thumbup:
Yes, Stian is a bit if a genius. He also puts together nicely edited, and instructive, videos. :D
If I'm seeing the video right, did Stian put a sleeve on the barrel so it would fit in the recoil unit?
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

I found an HL panther barrel thats meant for the HL recoil unit, i might use this but not sure if it would still require modifying the clark recoil unit.. :think:
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

For me it takes a barrel alu, with the sleeve that goes well? It must be possible to adapt the airsoft gun? But provided that it slides freely after an adaptation ring aluminum

Return to “General Questions”