Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AshMann
Corporal

Re: Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

Post by AshMann »

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 100848.jpg
The one on the left is the one I was using earlier, the one on the right is the screw from my plastic gearbox sherman
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
HL: 2 M4A3 105s , Panther ausf G, M41
Taigen: Tiger 1
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
AshMann wrote:Strangely, my kit didn't come with those
LOL, they were just a couple of cabinet handle screws I had closer to hand to use as an example of what I was asking you to do. If you hold the two makes of screws together and they fit perfectly together end to end and they are the same diameter, then they are the same sized thread. If they don't go together, it would cause a problem.

:haha: :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

AshMann wrote:https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 100848.jpg
The one on the left is the one I was using earlier, the one on the right is the screw from my plastic gearbox sherman
Did you not try the screw that came with the mato sprocket?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 104251.jpg
Which screws? I tried the black ones but not the smaller sliver ones
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

AshMann wrote:https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 104251.jpg
Which screws? I tried the black ones but not the smaller sliver ones
The thinner ones fit in the ends of the mato gear shafts, but they look shorter than usual

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I've just got out my Sherman with the same tracks as you, it was supplied that way from Dave (forgebear).

These sprockets won't fit on a plastic Mato Sherman. It's like they've been designed to fit a Heng Long Sherman, but are close to the same sized sprocket and same width tracks as a Mato.

I think it was advertised as "Mato style tracks"

These sprockets have just been taken From new unused tanks. From left to right. Heng Long plastic T74? tracks. Heng Long blackend metal T74? tracks. Heng Long metal T49 tracks (as yours). Mato plastic tank and T74? tracks.

The plastic Heng Long sprocket is just under 25mm wide, the metal Heng Long metal (Mato style) sprockets are about 27.25mm wide. And the plastic Mato sprockets are 28mm wide. The sprocket diameters are just over 41, 43 and 44mm respectively.

As can be seen, these metal sprockets are very close to Mato. It's like Heng Long are producing close to Mato sized tracks. And the HL metal sprockets just about mesh with plastic Mato tracks.

Anyway, as discovered via PM, your sprocket is not going on properly, and one reason is that the sprocket is touching the chassis. Have you taken your Sherman apart? Is the offending gearbox out of place. You should have a minimum of 16mm (5/8 inch) of drive shaft sticking out from the chassis.

AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I've just got out my Sherman with the same tracks as you, it was supplied that way from Dave (forgebear).

These sprockets won't fit on a plastic Mato Sherman. It's like they've been designed to fit a Heng Long Sherman, but are close to the same sized sprocket and same width tracks as a Mato.

I think it was advertised as "Mato style tracks"

These sprockets have just been taken From new unused tanks. From left to right. Heng Long plastic T74? tracks. Heng Long blackend metal T74? tracks. Heng Long metal T49 tracks (as yours). Mato plastic tank and T74? tracks.

The plastic Heng Long sprocket is just under 25mm wide, the metal Heng Long metal (Mato style) sprockets are about 27.25mm wide. And the plastic Mato sprockets are 28mm wide. The sprocket diameters are just over 41, 43 and 44mm respectively.

As can be seen, these metal sprockets are very close to Mato. It's like Heng Long are producing close to Mato sized tracks. And the HL metal sprockets just about mesh with plastic Mato tracks.

Anyway, as discovered via PM, your sprocket is not going on properly, and one reason is that the sprocket is touching the chassis. Have you taken your Sherman apart? Is the offending gearbox out of place. You should have a minimum of 16mm (5/8 inch) of drive shaft sticking out from the chassis.
I haven't taken my Sherman apart yet, though i plan to do that this Friday.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ok :thumbup:

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Ok :thumbup:
This has to be one of the most "interesting" conversations/explanations I have ever read! :haha:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

BarryC wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Ok :thumbup:
This has to be one of the most "interesting" conversations/explanations I have ever read! :haha:

Barry
Yeah, very short for me :{ lol.

Wasn't much else to say if the young man isn't doing anything till Friday.

One thing Mr AshMan. Before thinking of taking your Sherman apart, it would be handy if you measure how far the drive shaft sticks out like I showed in my last picture :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”