Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AshMann
Corporal

Re: Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

Post by AshMann »

Ludwig von wigbearer wrote:Have you cross threaded the screws ???

regards john
Cross threaded?
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
HL: 2 M4A3 105s , Panther ausf G, M41
Taigen: Tiger 1
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Are the screws different lengths? Maybe an extra washer under the screw heads.
They seem to be the same length, though I'll check
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

c.rainford73 wrote:Sounds like some mismatched parts. Can you measure the length of the screws and do a side by side comparison

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'll try that.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

AshMann wrote:
c.rainford73 wrote:Sounds like some mismatched parts. Can you measure the length of the screws and do a side by side comparison

I'll try that.
I thought it was mentioned that these were the original Heng Long screws that came with the tank and worked ok with the original Heng Long sprockets?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
AshMann wrote:

I'll try that.
I thought it was mentioned that these were the original Heng Long screws that came with the tank and worked ok with the original Heng Long sprockets?
They worked fine with those, for the short time I drove it with those on.
here are both screws side by side https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 084856.jpg
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

This is what came with the sprockets and idler wheels https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 085124.jpg
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

remove the sprockets, do both screws screw in and out easily on the driveshafts or does one go tight when not fully in, if that happens its probably cross threaded, try putting a bit of oil on the screws and work them in and out before refitting the sprockets.
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Ludwig von wigbearer wrote:remove the sprockets, do both screws screw in and out easily on the driveshafts or does one go tight when not fully in, if that happens its probably cross threaded, try putting a bit of oil on the screws and work them in and out before refitting the sprockets.
One of the screws tightens up before its fully in, though its doing that on the left driveshaft instead of the right one, also what kind of oil do i use? WD40 or something?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Ash I'd follow Ludwig's advice, one screw has some debris on the threads could be from the gearbox final drives?

Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

c.rainford73 wrote:Ash I'd follow Ludwig's advice, one screw has some debris on the threads could be from the gearbox final drives?

I noticed that, but I'm wondering if it's cast sprocket debris. The screws and shafts are both steel, the black on the screw should surely wear off a bit and show the silver metal below if there was thread damage.
But, after saying that, the thread in the shaft could have been poor quality to start with.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”