Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AshMann
Corporal

Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

Post by AshMann »

On my newer HL Sherman, I've been having problems with the right side drive sprocket, it would always tighten up more than the left one and the two halves come apart after driving a little. I'm using the screws that came with the HL though they may not be the right ones for the sprockets. The sprockets, tracks and idler wheels are from Mato, if that helps.
Video showing the problem:
https://youtu.be/RtfJ9psVMrQ
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
HL: 2 M4A3 105s , Panther ausf G, M41
Taigen: Tiger 1
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

Post by c.rainford73 »

It looks like the screw has backed out or isn't in all the way.....

If the other side doesn't come loose that only makes sense. The kit didn't come with washers?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

c.rainford73 wrote:It looks like the screw has backed out or isn't in all the way.....

If the other side doesn't come loose that only makes sense. The kit didn't come with washers?

I think it came with the washers, two small ring looking things and two screws, I'd have to check when i get home
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

I'll reinstall the screws with the washers when i get home, and I'll post if it works out
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Don't those sprockets have two little pegs sticking out of one half, and two corresponding indents/holes in the other half where the two halves go together :think:

Could it be possible they were not lined up when you put the sprockets on?

Or, the screw on that side isn't going all the way in for some reason, maybe swap the two screws around.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Don't those sprockets have two little pegs sticking out of one half, and two corresponding indents/holes in the other half where the two halves go together :think:

Or, the screw on that side isn't going all the way in for some reason, maybe swap the two screws around.
I believe it does have the pegs and the indents, i lined up the idents before i put them on the tank, I'm not sure if they are supposed to stay together via friction as they won't stay together unless attached onto the motor axle
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Don't those sprockets have two little pegs sticking out of one half, and two corresponding indents/holes in the other half where the two halves go together :think:

Exactly my thought.

Tanks alot.... :wave:
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Wardog wrote:Correspond yes! Maybe a defect in the mold.
Possibly, is there a way i could still make the sprocket work? Or should i just get a new one?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I'm trying to think if one peg is bigger than the other.

I would take the offending sprocket off, check if the two halves go together properly, and check that the screw goes in far enough without the sprocket on. If the screw doesn't go in enough for the different make of sprocket, get a couple more of the correct size washers and use more than one on that screw.

It is possible that the hole in that gearbox shaft is not as deep as the other side, maybe deep enough for a Heng Long sprocket but not a mato.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

c.rainford73 wrote:Exactly my thought.
So many things it could be, hard to know without being hands on.
Like, is the thread damaged that side.

Return to “General Questions”