What would YOU choose?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Let's say, that you'd saved up Christmas and Birthday moolah for a year or two, and raided the old piggy bank. If you had the choice between three objects of desire, of roughly comparable value (monetary),
which would you pick, if you could only have one of them (for now, anyway.. ;)
1. The well-liked, and handsome looking heavyweight Taigen IS-2?
Or,
2. The Psp4 Pro with Battlefield 1 (on optical media). (The PSP4 pro is capable of 4K resolution, unlike earlier iterations)
Or, finally
3. The basic Ludwig Comet A34 kit, with wheels, barrel, and other essential bits. The wheels would be of the cheaper plastic variety (beautiful machined metal ones come on at almost £300 :O )
Well, that's my quandary. Simply can't decide. I've never owned a games console, but was very impressed with the 4K capable PsP4 Pro at my son's home in Zurich :)
What would you pick? :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby jimbo_wa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:31 pm

I'd have to choose the Comet - but that's because it's on my list too! :D

The Taigen is also a goer IMO, but you *NEED* the Comet! @)

The PS4 Pro is great, but I've never got on with gaming and it's got the potential to be an expensive paperweight in the near future (tech moves on...).
jimbo_wa
Lance Corporal

Postby MichaelC » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Try looking at some game play videos on youtube for Battlefield 5.

Here is one with the StrumTiger:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by MichaelC on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomhugill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:39 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:Let's say, that you'd saved up Christmas and Birthday moolah for a year or two, and raided the old piggy bank. If you had the choice between three objects of desire, of roughly comparable value (monetary),
which would you pick, if you could only have one of them (for now, anyway.. ;)
1. The well-liked, and handsome looking heavyweight Taigen IS-2?
Or,
2. The Psp4 Pro with Battlefield 1 (on optical media). (The PSP4 pro is capable of 4K resolution, unlike earlier iterations)
Or, finally
3. The basic Comet A34 kit, with wheels, barrel, and other essential bits. The wheels would be of the cheaper plastic variety (beautiful machined metal ones come on at almost £300 :O )
Well, that's my quandary. Simply can't decide. I've never owned a games console, but was very impressed with the 4K capable PsP4 Pro at my son's home in Zurich :)
What would you pick? :D

Comet all day long!
tomhugill
Captain

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Hmmmm! Like chalk and cheese, all of them.

I resolved a similar quandary just before Christmas and went for the JS-2 but l just love Russian armour so it was easy. The downside is there is very little to do to it other than amire it and play!

The Comet? Its just me but l have no love of WW2 British tanks. Feeble, all if them! Although a half British Firefly would be okay. Post WW2 a different story. However, the kit will keep you occupied for some time.

Games console. Its just the thin end of the wedge! You'll turn into a teenager again ;( However, some of the games are stunning so l can understand how one becomes addicted. I speak from experience by survived mostly intact!

There, I've been no help at all :/
General Jumbo01
Corporal

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Personally I'd go for the Comet but that's because I like 'different' things and it would be a challenge, plus it's something that is a rarity and should command a good price if you ever wanted to part with it.

Alwyn
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks, lads :thumbup: So far, the Comet seems to be winning hands down. The muddy waters of spend mania are beginning to clear :haha: :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Jimster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:51 pm

My all time favorite tank battle iPhone game/app is called Battle Supremacy. It’s awesome and it’s the reason I bought an rc tank. It’s that fun! I highly recommend it for everyone here.

Jimster
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:58 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:Hmmmm! Like chalk and cheese, all of them.

I resolved a similar quandary just before Christmas and went for the JS-2 but l just love Russian armour so it was easy. The downside is there is very little to do to it other than amire it and play!

The Comet? Its just me but l have no love of WW2 British tanks. Feeble, all if them! Although a half British Firefly would be okay. Post WW2 a different story. However, the kit will keep you occupied for some time.

Games console. Its just the thin end of the wedge! You'll turn into a teenager again ;( However, some of the games are stunning so l can understand how one becomes addicted. I speak from experience by survived mostly intact!

There, I've been no help at all :/

Even though you were one of my favourite comic characters, Gen.J., I have to take issue with you on the suggestion, nay traitorous calumny on British tanks, that they were
>:< :haha: Feeble!!! Dash it, sir :O ( I can imagine Jimmy Edwards shouting that! :haha: )
The Comet was excellent in all departments, except that it came along too late in the war. It was fast, reliable, well-armoured, sported the mighty 17-pounder and..wait for it! it had a low silhouette/profile in the landscape (unlike the 88 gunners' favourite
target practice tank: the Sherman)! 'Twas a great tank and served as a platform to build the almighty Centurion on.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 pm

I don't really know why you asked. As said above.... You KNOW you need a Comet :{

But yes, post WW2 it all changed The mighty Centurion set the trend. One of my favourites.
General Jumbo01
Corporal

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks as well to Michael, and Jimbo, for the input! :thumbup: There's nothing quite like collective fantasy. It's like the characters in the Flight of the Phoenix, I think, discussing cordon bleu, or favourite meals, when they're almost out of rations. :)
So...the Comet comes clanking through strongly!
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Putting myself in your location, and knowing you like British armour.
1. Dave doesn't like to ship them, therefore not easy to acquire. Not a great deal to do to them, limited detail parts.
2. When they finally pack up, not cheap to repair and lose value. Plus, don't you need to buy games? 300 quid on games later. . . .
3. Enjoyment from building, Can now afford those tracks as you're not buying games.

If you edit your first post, you can create a poll :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 pm

MichaelC wrote:Try looking at some game play videos on youtube for Battlefield 5.

Here is one with the StrumTiger:

phpBB [video]

Hi, Michael
I've just read a few (mixed) reviews of Battlefield 5, to try to resolve this shopping spree issue. The WW2 action sequences look fantastic...and I do have a 4k TV; so the images should look equally amazing.
That said, some reviewers were disappointed with the game, and thought that Battlefield one was less glitchy, and perhaps more true to life.
Personally, I loved the WW1 features in Battlefield 1 (especially the Mk IV tanks). BUT, I would have to pay a visit to Specsavers first, with that option, for some nicely tuned gaming glasses. :/ :D
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby STHV » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 pm

I would say the Comet

The IS-2 looks very nice however

Battlefield 5 outright ignores history and even alters real more interesting events in favour of political correctness so much so that they attempt to pass this off as what really happened in those events
STHV
Private

Postby Wardog » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 pm

I bought an Xbox 360,out of argos before they went extinct,some of the games costing around £2.00 to £8.00 and some look as good as new.
The saboteur not bad for £3.00,still over twenty games i have not played.just not had the free time.
So with all the animals we have,which is a lot and working on the tank while cooking the dinner.
It has to be the comet!

Wardog
Corporal

Postby jarndice » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 pm

The Comet was the first British Tank that finally got the three basics of Tank design right (Sorry General Jumbo The Comet was the incentive for the Centurion),
It combined good armour, a good Gun and a decent engine, combined with its Christie suspension it was as good as a cruiser/medium tank could get.
It revolutionised British Tank design. :thumbup:
While the Centurion shared very little of the Comet it was the Comet that inspired the design of not just the Cent but every British Tank that followed and it came into being by accident.
The engineers at Vickers had been trying to up gun the Cromwell and finally had to admit it just could not be done so reluctantly and belatedly the Comet was designed.
As already mentioned its only failing was that it came too late to have the impact that it would have done if the faffing around with the Cromwell had been recognised earlier as a waste of time.
My view on games consoles is that they are on a par with sex dolls, a third rate substitute for real life :{ Allegedly.
The Soviet Tank industry after the T34 having found the secret to defeating German Armour built bigger jelly moulds of the original with little in the way of originality, Just my point of view. :P .
Last edited by jarndice on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarndice
Captain

Postby PainlessWolf » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 pm

Good afternoon, Roy,
I went with the Taigen\Torro IS-2. It is an amazingly fun tank. There are a couple of _tiny_ quibbles ( bouncy barrel and stone magnet road wheels ) but if there were nothing to do with the tanks we buy, we wouldn't all be modelers on this forum.
I'm a PC gamer so that takes me out of the running for the rest. The Comet is an amazing tank as built. You know I am saving dimes for a metal lower Churchill or Matilda. ;o)
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Comet is the way to go :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Lert » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Right now my vote is Taigen JS/2. But ask me again tomorrow and I might vote differently.
Lert
Sergeant

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:49 pm

Come on, Roy, stop thinkin' and buy the damn JS-2!! @) 8) :haha:
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Questions