Tamiya Display models - fitting gearbox

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Display models - fitting gearbox

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ok, well I managed to have a wee peek inside my Tam KT. Here's a shot of the Sherman LH box compared with the King tiger LH box. They're both around 42mm broad by 90mm long, and so is the Jagdpanther frame.
Surprise, surprise, the Pz IV box would also fit nicely. ;)
Apart from the shine on the motor, and the KT box frame's height above the tank floor (spacer/stand-offs account for that), they both appear identical. I guess, all Tamiya would have to do to change the ratios would be to put an extra tooth, or two on the pinion gear. The minuscule increase in circumference wouldn't affect the diameter enough to mean changing the adjacent transfer gear. But that's just speculation. :think:
Here's the Jagdpanther kit's LH frame compared with the KT unit for breadth. They're identical.
Finally, well, here's my low mileage (yardage, really) Tam KT. She needs someone like Tom, or Adam to apply to subtle weathering and pin washes. When the weather improves in the Spring, I'll have a go myself. :)
I imagine someone's done a study of Tamiya tank transmissions (ratios, torque stats., etc); but I'm not quite that nerdy. Yet. B|
As things stand, though, in spite of the different part numbers and, it has the be said, pricesof Tamiya gearboxes, after a cursory peek, many appear to be pretty much the same. Stand-off positions and output/driveshafts seem to make the difference.
That gives you some scope for using the included Kit parts, if you can come by used gearbox bits, or even gearbox replacement kits somewhere online.. :think: I'm fairly new to Tamiya kits (of any description), having only indulged in the last couple of years. There are bods out there with far greater intimacy with Tamiya tank products than I have. Still, I think I've almost taught myself something about their transmissions I didn't know before. Hope it all helps anyway. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Not had any issues with tamiya the gearbox , but would not buy another full rc kit. You need the schumo gear reduction for something that resembles scale speed . Same with HL and Taigen too fast, Tried an IBU but did not like the need for a pc to set up system, mac user :D . Have Elmod in 3 tanks , will convert the full Tamiya KT to Elmod in the future. Would pay good money for a 1/16 version of the 1/35 Dragon, Meng ,Trumpeter or Tamiya tanks that have the rc hull and all the detail out of the box.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ah..thanks for your expansive take on the longevity (or otherwise) of Tamiya's gearboxes, E.F. I must say, before I moved to arts subjects, I had several years studying engineering and sciences. That gave me a taste for well-engineered designs..from the Spitfire's wing through to Samuel Darby's bridge masterpiece at Coalbrookdale. Tamiya gearboxes look, and feel so well engineered. A class act when compared with the opposition. But it wouldn't have been Zeus who made them; it would have been his smithy- Hephaestus! ;)
I can see blobs of Tamiya grease on my KT's gears (above), but it has been in storage. :O Well, that's my excuse. :) Come the summer, it will be serviced properly. I promise. :lolno:
My tanks don't clock up many yards in the year, and so wear is never likely to be an issue. However, it seems to me from the genuine precision fit, that they could certainly rack up plenty of miles over the years without those :wtf: @) WFT moments.
Incidentally, It might be relevant to point out that Tamiya recommends putting their own (supplied) grease into bushed housings, and wheel bearings (properly: bushed bearings). It seems like good stuff to me...but not in excess. :shifty:
But going back to Smaily's question, what do you think his best bet would be?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”