Muzzle flash LED location

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Vertigo
Private

Muzzle flash LED location

Post by Vertigo »

Its not completely clear from web searches so i thought id ask here. Sorry if its in the wrong place.
The only web references i can find put the main gun led in the barrel and recommend it being near the muzzle.
That means you can't fit one if using a BB, air soft or IR (in barrel) system.
I have a post WW2 model with a wide flash deflector and was thinking of putting a pair of 3mm LEDs in the sides so as not to block the BB gun. Anyone seen or done this?
I don't know if theres an internal barrel in the gun which may allow me to run wires between the inner and the outer.
My fall back is to use 2 wires from a ribbon cable glued under the barrel.
I believe air-soft use metal barrels so you could use it as one of the conductors.
Incidentally ribbon cable can be used to simulate corrugated surfaces.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Muzzle flash LED location

Post by Tiger6 »

I've never seen it done I'm afraid, most people I know junk the BB gun and fit an LED or a flash unit.
Most tanks these days have metal barrels, and even the older Heng Longs have a metal liner even if the outer is plastic, so you could use it as a conductor. You'll still have to hide the other cable/conductor (slot in the underside of the barrel, maybe?)

Good Luck!
Vertigo
Private

Post by Vertigo »

Got an LED fitted in the muzle and its not bad. I will try and post a vid. Its trigered off the IR output from my HL RX18+. That seems to be triggered by the signal from the BB gun that is the recoil input to the Rx. Its interesting to note that the LED flashes more than once. I guess thats so you IR guys no your being hit rather than "illuminated" by IR. Not sure of the timing though - might be firing during recoil which would ruin your shot.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

The IR 'shot' is a pulsed signal, therefore the flashing. Most systems have a seperate output for muzzle flash that is a constant light.

Return to “General Questions”