Smoker: Yay or Nay

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
RenoirLV
Corporal

Re: Smoker: Yay or Nay

Post by RenoirLV »

43rdRecceReg wrote:How's this for smoke, then? :D I'd like my model Sherman to do that too... :)
Then I guess the TARR smoker from the video above would be just right. I would like to know its details though.
In the videos I saw with Tiger 131 there is nowhere near that much smoke from the V12.
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

RenoirLV wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:How's this for smoke, then? :D I'd like my model Sherman to do that too... :)
Then I guess the TARR smoker from the video above would be just right. I would like to know its details though.
In the videos I saw with Tiger 131 there is nowhere near that much smoke from the V12.
I'd guess that the valves, and piston rings, have been replaced more regularly on Bovington's 131 than on this equally venerable 76 year-old Sherman... :think:
You'll also find vids on Youtube of surviving runners (Cromwell, etc..) burning oil, coughing, and sounding bronchitic.
Modern vehicles, especially cars, are made to more exacting tolerances than the old WW2 clankers.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Run the motor backwards !!................... :wtf:
Brilliant deduction !
How then do you increase the voltage to the element without the same to the now reversed motor ?
I have the heating element running on a different voltage.

This can be achieved using either another battery or reducing the voltage (loads of ways of doing this, using a step down voltage regulator for example).
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

RenoirLV wrote:Now I've seen it. Can you give more details of the tarr smoker?
There must be something wrong with my gear.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
It's running on 12v, using Megasteam smoke fluid oil (I don't fill it up loads) and the exhaust pipes are connected to a tee so that it's pumping out of one outlet.

I think with tanks you have longer runs with the pipework whereas in my loco it's a very short pipe.

Another thing, ensure the wick is under the absorbent material inside the unit (I don't know what this is called or what it is made from).
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

tom_tom_go wrote: It's running on 12v, using Megasteam smoke fluid oil (I don't fill it up loads) and the exhaust pipes are connected to a tee so that it's pumping out of one outlet.
Another thing, ensure the wick is under the absorbent material inside the unit (I don't know what this is called or what it is made from).
Mine is a 12v unit. But the tank has a 2s lipo which means the actual voltage is never higher than 8.4v on a full charge. Im not sure what the Elmod smoker board is giving out though. It does control the unit and makes it proportional but the effect is far from what you have.
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

I would try running the smoker on 12v just to see if you get the same amount of smoke as I do so you know it's working properly (you can then address the voltage increase if required).
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Tarr is good..I add a small voltage regulator to up the voltage to the resistor wire if I want more smoke. Easy to do.
Acoustic smoker is amazing and cool..just a bit of a pain to create but works well using TARR as a basis.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

If a smoke unit could turn on when the tank is first switched on but not started, then it could build up smoke in a reservoir, then when you started the tank, the smoke billowed out in a cloud with the engine start up sound, I would be a very happy man. And after that, I wouldn't care about the smoke while the tank is running or driving about.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Re your comment Mr Gunner, the Open Panzer TCB allows you to do this very thing you can configure a delay so it heats the element up first then you can preset the delay for the pump to activate.
Obviously the TCB is as rare as hens teeth these days which is a real shame as they were excellent in my humble opinion, as you can configure just about everything to your own style and desire.
Regards.
Sub.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

The new pump is much better. It is the same as simple aquarium pump, much more effective and quieter and you can get them everywhere. I have been cutting out the heating element/container from a standard HL smoker and mating it to the new pump to create barrel smoke, but sometimes it is too much and would be perfect for exhaust. Here is an example of the pump that you can get anywhere basically for cheap:
61cRmyWQD1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
61cRmyWQD1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 859 times
MichaelC.

Return to “General Questions”