Pantiger upper hull

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tankdude
Recruit

Re: Pantiger upper hull

Post by Tankdude »

Inspired by this post to build something a little different using bits and pieces from other tanks, I decided to build a king pan tiger or what if tank which is kinda similar to some of the VK paper tanks.

I used a Taigen king tiger lower hull and a pan tiger upper hull, I was going to shorten the king tiger hull but decided it would be easier to lengthen the upper hull instead, the Taigen lower is too nicely made to cut up and by lengthening it I could make a heavy tank version which suits me better as I like super heavies the most.

So, the pan tiger upper was sectioned, the turret ring cut out and a heng long king tiger upper was purchased and that too was cut up to donate its turret ring and other sections. The pan tiger upper was lengthened to suit the lower hull, the larger turret ring fitted and the joints filled with model filler. The front glacis plate was modified to fit into the lower hull using the glacis plate off the king tiger upper hull, so the new upper has a continuous slope rather than the stepped front the pan tiger normally has.

The turret needed to be large like a king tiger but somehow different, my first idea was to just modify the king tiger turret until a friend had a pan tiger turret he let me have. By some careful measurement and a bit of imagination I cut the front off the king tiger turret and the back off the pan tiger turret and mated the two together, the cut lines were positioned were the profiles were the most similar and I think the resulting turret works well. It still needs a lot of work to make it look like one whole turret and not two pieces together but it is work in progress.

Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Let's call this 'interesting'! :-)

Would love to see more.
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Tankdude
Recruit

Post by Tankdude »

Update time, as I'm on lockdown because of the Corona virus I have done some work on my project tank. Mostly loads of hand finishing the filler to get nice smooth lines and paint, then smooth down with wet and dry, filler again and smooth off, paint and repeat until the curves are right and the filler is feathered out.

Very pleased with how the turret has turned out, I think it looks correctly proportioned and balanced.

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

John!
That is excellent and clean work with the turret and upper hull modifications!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Agreed you have done outstanding work with this unique piece
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Sadly many of us are locked down and this build is really inspiring me to attempt a what if build myself :thumbup: Yours is coming along very convincingly.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

This is inspiring works Our 'bits box' has never been more in demand with our favourite suppliers struggling to restock their shelves and us bored individuals looking for builds to keep us occupied. This could be the answer!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Tankdude
Recruit

Post by Tankdude »

Thank you for all the nice comments, here are some more pics of it all together.

Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Love your work!

As a suggestion, what about a bit more slope on the front of the turret?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

From the commander's cupola forward? Would look good but would be a major rework.
Last edited by General Jumbo01 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”