First tank advice...

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jimbo_wa
Corporal

First tank advice...

Post by jimbo_wa »

Yep, another newbie asking the same old Q's (yes, I did search the forum - no, I didn't find an answer!) :P

Looking for a first 1/16th scale tank for IR battles (GLAD is my nearest and they seem a mostly harmless bunch, who were exceedingly helpful and friendly) and general feckling.

Originally was after a Sherman, but *everyone* has at least two of 'em and they're nice, but I prefer the HVSS on a Tamiya and I don't have that kind of money.

Looking on eBay and Forgebear (lovely couple!) for my budget of around £250, I can get a second-hand Tamiya M26 Pershing that has issues/bits missing or a 'kit' to build a metal Taigen based Panzer/Stug III respectively.

I'm leaning towards the latter as it's new, and I can build it as I want.

Looking to use an Open Panzer TCB for the electrickery, and I already have a good knowledge of soldering/building skills from a few decades worth of R/C other things...

Anyone want to speak up for the M26 or the pitfalls of the III?

Thanks in advance
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: First tank advice...

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I would go the StuG
A lot more research/subject matter and as you say a new kit not a renovator .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I would go the StuG
A lot more research/subject matter and as you say a new kit not a renovator .
Thanks Herman.

I think you're probably right!

Been looking at the Stug III builds on here and think that is the way forward...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Plus there is no such thing as a specific StuG build unless you are replicating a photo as the assault guns were the most numerous and variable of all German combat vehicles.
Go your hardest mate
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks for the push, I've placed the order with Dave at Forgebear for the Taigen metal chassis and associated parts, with the Heng Long plastic upper deck and additional Torro metal parts for extra feckling.

I like the look of the Ostketten winter tracks, but am concerned about the extra strain on the metal drive train?

Aiming to build an Eastern Front '42/'43 StuG III Ausf.G with scrappy white washing...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I've got a StuG with Winterketten tracks, all metal running gear, but nothing extravagant.
Its a tough bugger to turn on most terrains, but no breakages.
Get em on, go your hardest & show us the pics mate :thumbup:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Ta Herman - I'll get there eventually! :wtf:

Next silly Q - for 2/3rds of the price of two decent (Quicrun 1080 @ £30 each) brushed ESCs to run in unison with the OpenPanzer TCB, I can get a couple of brushless motors and ESCs.

Why would I not go for the more efficient system?

The reason for the vastly overkill Quicrun 1080, is that it has a silent mode so you don't hear an annoying ESC whine when moving.

I will be running 3S batteries and looking through the brushless posts here, it seems that 2500-3600kv motors have been used in the past.

That seems very high to me and thinking that torque (volt up, gear down) is more necessary than speed on a StuG, I was looking at the below 800kv motors as a direct replacement for the 360 (17,500rpm) brushed motors in the Taigen 5:1 steel gearboxes?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdrive-v ... motor.html

Or should I be looking to go up in size and/or speed to be more in line with the brushed rpm?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/prop-drive- ... motor.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdrive-v ... motor.html

The third option is stop being a numpty and stick with the brushed motors/1080 combo...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

One thing to take into consideration when choosing anything to go in a stug, is how much more space will it take up, you are very limited for space, if any motors you choose are physically bigger, you may have an even bigger problem fitting them in.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I agree with Mick, the StuG is just too small to be a good tank for a beginner. I was barely able to squeeze an IBU into this one, and the space is very, very limited. So limited that I had no choice but use lipo batteries, which also might not be a good idea for a beginner. The TCB is a good board, but would require a separate ESC and sound card, and I just don't think there's room for all that in a StuG.

If you really want an IR battle tank I would recommend you start with a Tiger or King Tiger. Lots of room in both those.

The Pershing is, IMHO, a great tank, and that sounds like a great price if it's battle ready or just needs a small amount of work. Perhaps the seller would be willing to make it fully ready to run for a small price increase? I think it's worth checking out, and the M-26 makes a fine battle tank and battles as a heavy, where the StuG would be a medium at best. For a beginner I think the heavy is better, needing nine hits to kill it as compared to only six on a StuG.

That may not be what you want to hear, and I'm a huge fan of the StuG myself, but I really think you'll have a lot less headaches if you get a larger tank to start with plenty of space inside for the components and a Nimh battery.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Pershing would be my choice. Much more room and very reliable
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “General Questions”