First tank advice...

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Re: First tank advice...

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks both for the advice.

I've already ordered the StuG from Forgebear, so it is a moot point!

However, in mitigation I usually create 1/35th RC and micro drones, so I am comfortable with fitting components into 'tight' spaces.

It's another reason to go brushless as the components are more compact...

I will be using 800mAh 3S LiPo batteries, so a far smaller pack than standard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Max is absolutely right about the lack of space in a "Stug" If you want a decent control board that will fit I suggest you look at the CLARK TK 20 series they are the same size as the Heng Long RX18 and if you slip the RX18 out of its case the TK 20 will fit into that case perfectly.
You will now have a "Stug" that conforms to the rules of I/R Fighting with a decent sound chip. and you will still have space for a speaker, a smoker and a receiver as well as a battery.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Have to agree. This may be your first tank but trust us, it will not be your last! Both the Tiger or KT have a lot of space inside but once you have two ESCs plus sound cards and speakers it soon disappears. Try a heavy tank first and get to grips with that then get back to the StuG and, with the experience gained and the learning kerb less steep, you'll be well placed to tackle a small hull.

Regarding motors, I've no idea what spec the 5.1 gearbox motor is (turns?) so can't advise what brushless equivalent to buy but....the 5.1 in my new very heavy Taigen IS-2 has more than enough power and will run so slow, without any stuttering, that my kitten is more than happy to ride it. I can recommend it for any other heavy tank (in fact any size). If you do go brushless, l recommend you go sensored as its the bottom end / pull away where the difference is noticed as the timing advance is accurately monitored and adjusted in real time, plus most can be programmed to adjust performance - useful for low speed control.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

General Jumbo, you have 5:1 gearboxes in a new IS2? Did they come with those or did you add them? I thought the new Taigen IS2 came with 4:1 black steel gearboxes? I have several 5:1s with brass gears and they're my favorite of all, but I tried the steel geared 5:1s in a KT and it fried the MFU. It did, however, do a terrific job in a Panzer III, and I think they're great for small tanks with limited space.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Don't scare the guy chaps.

I can't wait till Mr jimbo_wa proves us all wrong and comes up with a solution ;)

I'll be watching ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Don't scare the guy chaps.

I can't wait till Mr jimbo_wa proves us all wrong and comes up with a solution ;)

I'll be watching ;)
I don’t scare easy!

If it was simple, I’d just get bored...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01

Max-U52 wrote: I thought the new Taigen IS2 came with 4:1 black steel gearboxes?
Whoops! I may be wrong there then, so let me rephrase that. The Taigen black steel gearbox/motor combos in my new IS-2 are silky smooth and allow great control at slow speeds. I can't now find a reference to what gears they are but I'm sure it was stated in the prerelease thread.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Dave's site---
www.forgebeartanks.com
says that the JS2 (None in stock) comes with a pair of 4 to 1 Gearboxes.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01

Thanks for clarification. Mine are black steel.

Return to “General Questions”