Hooben Maus

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Hooben Maus

Post by MichaelC »

cheats......KT tracks and sprockets on both ends. Resin tracks will not work. The wheels are barely hanging on.
geoff
Recruit

Post by geoff »

Hi I have slowly been converting my old static resin Maus kit to full rc.
I have got the metal gearboxes in at the back with track on all, running well with Taigen 2 set up.
Now the resin turret is heavy , tried a Tamiya turret gearbox and yes it worked but could slip easily.
Back to trying Hl I've read about taking the bb motor out and trying that but the gear hole that should fit on it to drive the turret rotation gearbox is to big on the motor spindle.
Thought of 2 turret gearboxes but not sure how to wire them without blowing the esc unit.
Any ideas please? Geoff
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Have you thought about a continuous rotation servo? If you're using your own TX with the Taigen MFU you would lose the sound but you could use a servo with as much power and torque as needed.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

geoff wrote:Hi I have slowly been converting my old static resin Maus kit to full rc.
I have got the metal gearboxes in at the back with track on all, running well with Taigen 2 set up.
Now the resin turret is heavy , tried a Tamiya turret gearbox and yes it worked but could slip easily.
Back to trying Hl I've read about taking the bb motor out and trying that but the gear hole that should fit on it to drive the turret rotation gearbox is to big on the motor spindle.
Thought of 2 turret gearboxes but not sure how to wire them without blowing the esc unit.
Any ideas please? Geoff
DKLM do a super metal rotation gearbox which should work, henglong rotation units superior to the tamiya too
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

With my JS-3 I installed one of Ian's heavy duty geared servo rotation kits, turned it without a problem. I know MichaelC installed dual servo rotation sets from heng long in his E-100 build and it works excellent.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

DON'T BUY THE HOOBEN MAUS

It is a complete rip off that is falsely advertised
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

STHV wrote:DON'T BUY THE HOOBEN MAUS

Are you talking about this one?

And can you elaborate please.

1/16 Hooben Maus metal edition ARTR, 1.695,00 €
https://www.rctank.de/1-16-Hooben-Maus- ... ition-ARTR
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
STHV wrote:DON'T BUY THE HOOBEN MAUS

Are you talking about this one?

And can you elaborate please.

1/16 Hooben Maus metal edition ARTR, 1.695,00 €
https://www.rctank.de/1-16-Hooben-Maus- ... ition-ARTR
Yes and no, i bought mine directly from Hooben as a RTR with all the optional upgrade bits, its falsely advertised as full metal but all of the detail parts are plastic painted to look metal, this includes the gun mantlet, fuel drum, drivers hatch, headlights, towing eyes and the shrapnel guards on the engine deck, mine does not turn at all and hesitates every few cm when driving forward. It literally broke itself as the gun assembly is very cheap soft plastic that is powered by a relatively strong motor with a steel gear so all the teeth sheared off preventing the gun from elevating at all.

The vehicle is held together with nuts glued to brackets with what looks like PVA glue these act as threads for the screws and the nuts can break off very easily as one of mine already has and some don't even line up

The turret is almost entirely wrong in terms of details as all the hatched and periscopes etc are oversized or just flat out wrong and there is a large flat piece at the base of the turret front meaning that the turret front and sides will likely need replacing or heavy modification, Woz is very kindly making some parts for my tanks including a replacement gun mantlet on shapeways

The tank is also advertised as having a 360° turret traverse but is deliberately limited by two micro-switches glued to the inside of the hull roof, the images of the vehicle also show it having the antenna short out guard between the two guns but mine did not come with one.

one of the upgrades was supposed to be a 1080p fpv system, the camera of which fits fits into a tube under the gun sight which turn out of the way which i thought was a nice idea however there is no socket for the cable for the camera or the IR mushroom so the wires just fall into the turret when you take them out.

The FPV system is also not as advertised as the camera is 720p and the goggles are only 480p however there is no delay which is nice but there is also no way to recharge the battery for the goggles

the rear convoy light is also held on from the inside with blue tack of all things

along with that the sounds are not great but not bad either and they are as advertised however as soon as clark releases their maus controller i will replace it immediately so i can give the coaxial 75mm some functionality

I emailed Hooben about all of the problems and advertising but all i got in response was that these were "non issues" which is absurd so after asking for a refund they refuse to do any further business because i put a perfectly honest review on their facebook page it did not feature any insults or anything out of line at all just an honest review listing the problems and false advertising of the maus as everywhere they say "full metal" just like the much cheaper MATO tanks which are actually full metal, they also accused me of being "mean" and said that they had not had any other complaints from other customers both of which are lies as despite being rather annoyed after it arrived i remained polite throughout the entire email conversation so i am now pursuing a refund through my bank and have already got an independent report form a local RC aircraft shop

I should probably mention that i placed the order on the 27th of April and was told it would take 3-4 weeks to get to me from the date i ordered, it arrived on the 2nd of November
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow that is absolutely ridiculous. You have the patience of a saint.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

8O WOW, that's some elaboration.

Hooben don't do themselves any favours.

Thank you for taking the time to write all that Mr STHV.

I'm like you, always polite when I have a problem, especially as the person on the other end of the conversation may not be the cause of the problem, and one needs their help.
As far as I'm concerned, they have a cheek to complain and refuse help if they earned a bad review. Gordon Ramsay says bad reviews aren't bad, they are something to learn from to make ones services better.

Thanks again.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”