HL Leopard 2A6 Gearbox options?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

Re: HL Leopard 2A6 Gearbox options?

Post by HammerWihoutASickle »

Those motors. I WANT those motors. My Leopard is slow as hell after all the upgrades. I think it's a bit too heavy for the 380/390 motors the Taigen gearboxes came with.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6
Heng Long Challenger 2 (credit to rctankmodified)

I ask too many questions.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

These are the same, just a different colour to mine.

https://www.banggood.com/Heng-Long-Brus ... rehouse=CN
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

HammerWihoutASickle wrote:Those motors. I WANT those motors. My Leopard is slow as hell after all the upgrades. I think it's a bit too heavy for the 380/390 motors the Taigen gearboxes came with.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Just 12000rpm under load? That’s... not impressive. Admittedly more than the +- 9000 rpm of the original Heng Long motors. But still. Must be incorrect specs... *scratching head*

Give me these any time of the day : https://www.rctank.de/2-x-Taigen-390-25 ... -gearboxes

I’d say, since You are situated in the USA contact Eric at IMEX tanks. I wouldn’t be too surprised if he had that type of motor in stock. https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-parts/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

phpBB [video]
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

By the by, for those wondering: the 4kg T-90 in the little video in my show-off thread is using Permax 17000rpm 390/480 motors without the weak-iron mantles, nòt the 25000 Taigens.

The Taigens were a bit too much for me, ànd a tad Amp-hungry. Think 15 to 20 minutes at best on the stock 1800mah LiFe, compared to 25 to 30 minutes on the Permax motors.

On gnarly, gutted offroad terrain the Taigens would run 10 minutes at best before the voltage cutoff intervened. Motors got hot too.

I guess not a problem for a tank with a normal sized battery compartment, though.. Just pop-in a 5amp LiPo... :haha:

Just so You’d be warned when using high-rpm motors.

Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Addendum:

I now use the DKLMRC dual 550 gearboxes in my leopard. It’s reasonably fast, but there’s not much needed to be faster than the anemic white-endbell motors and pot-metal gearbox it came with :P However, the increase in torque while traversing heavy, gnarled terrain is not something to snuff at. My word, it goes like the clappers. Like there’s no terrain undulations to speak of. And the IBU2Pro takes it in stride. I had to up the amps in the .ini to prevent shutdowns, though.

I like the fact that it gives me the opportunity to -finally- use some of the big 540- and 550 motors I collected over the years with my RC-Car hobby. Now all I need is the IBU 3 to be able to use some robust 45amp ESC’s. Got plenty of those. Maybe -in due time- slap-in some brushless outrunners.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

wibblywobbly wrote:These are the same, just a different colour to mine.

https://www.banggood.com/Heng-Long-Brus ... rehouse=CN
Seems they aren't the same. The superfast ones I had were black with a picture of a toy train on the side. In fact they were so fast that it made the Leopard uncontrollable. I swapped them for a pair of Graupner Speed 400's, and the tank is now running at a quick but totally realistic speed, and is perfect for turns etc.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Little tip when using the DKLMrc 550-gearboxes with their stock motors: Take off the weak-iron mantles. ( They are actually meant to increase torque by concentrating the magnetic field, but that comes at a cost in rpm, rpm’s that are needed in the high-gearing gearboxes of our tanks)

The Leo will be quite a bit faster, and I did not notice any degradation in climbing power, or rough terrain driving. Even 45°hills are no problem. It barely loses speed, if any. I was quite surprised.
It also runs forever on 4000mah, despite the humongous 550-motors (no idea what wind. I guess 21 to 25 turn or something.) They are frugal. Which is kinda logical, since they don’t have to work as hard as little 400/480 motors.

Shame they are quite expensive, these 550 gearboxes, or I would put them in every tank I got... :'(

Thanks to the (rather expensive) hybrid metal/plastic and rubber Tamiya Leopard tracks -that coincidentally fit the HL metal sprocket and runners like a glove- it has only thrown a track once, and that was on grass.. super-spinning is not advisable with high-grip tracks :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Motor - Men,
I have a set of old type 550s in the 1/6 Stuart that use 12V and come with external resistors, etc. I want to replace them with a set of something ( cannot locate new Graupner 600BB motors ) that will provide a lot of torque and a decent speed and plug into a Clark TK-60. These motors need to swap and use the same 9 tooth gear ( original ) since I am keeping the stock gearboxes. They will be powered by a 12v 5000mah battery. Ideas?
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Old style 550s I want to replace...
Old style 550s I want to replace...
...Here for the Dawn...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

A guy I used to know had one of those, but I can't remember what motors he had in it? I suspect they were either electric drill or electric screwdriver motors.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “General Questions”