T-90 Low ratio metal gear?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
nexusys
Lance Corporal

T-90 Low ratio metal gear?

Post by nexusys »

Hi All,

I need your help to find a T-90 low ratio metal gear.

I've been googling it, but couldnt really find that many. The only one i found is from Taigen: https://www.taigentanks.com/hlparts/hlgearboxupgrades which is at 3:1 ratio speed. 4:1 is preferred.

Is there anywhere else i can get them? Taigen price is quite dear.

Being in Australia is quite difficult to obtain T-90 upgrades as T90 is not available for sale here.

AU Main HL stockist are Ozarmour and Tankarmy. I had a look at both

THanks in advance.
Last edited by nexusys on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: T-90 Low ratio metal gear?

Post by Jay-Em »

Another option is to get Your hands on 2 Igarashi 5-pole 400/360 size motors. They are extremely torqy, sip battery power and run about 8900rpm @ 7,2v

I use them for my German WW2 tanks, since monsters like the Königstiger and Jagdpanther ran at best about 35km/h, maybe 40km/h on a good day, to begin with. The slower Igarashi’s are -due to their 5-pole armature- also much much smoother than the usual 3-pole brushed offerings, and look much more convincing while running.

I’m of the school of “run the motors that fit the era” . My Leopard sports a couple of fast 390 22000rpm motors, because the real tank hits about 85km/h with the war seals removed. Having it trundle along like a heavy WW2 howitzer is a tad odd in my book.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Mr Jay-Em, do you use these five pole motors in the "3:1" boxes?
Yes, They’re in my Jagdpanther and my Königstiger, both with the 3:1 gearboxes. I hàve a 4:1 gearbox around, but that one is rather high, and won’t fit the T-90, since there’s an extra gear on top. Used it for a bit in a snow leopard. Didn’t like it. With the slow 5-poles it was a bit too slow for my taste. Plenty of grunt, though.

The 4:1 gearboxes are meant for high rpm motors from 18000 to 22000. For german WW2 tanks I rather use motors with higher winds on a 3:1 gearbox, since they are more frugal with the amps.

If You’re after real slow put-putting, say in a KV-2, a 1:4 gearbox with 5-poles might be the ticket, if You can fit them height-wise. It dòes get that lumbering slow character of that tank quite well.

It’s just a personal preference.

Again, the 4:1 gearboxes are too high, physically, for the T-90! And the 5:1 Taigen offers, that còuld fit, I dunno, the low ones, have some terrible, anemic -shortened- 400-sized motors.
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Post by nexusys »

Thanks Jay -em.

This is what i have. 390 motors.

High torque like 5x apparently. Is just that the gearbox will not fit on t90.

Sigh.. looks like im gonna have to get taigen gearbox then.
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Cool, these motors may be just what I'm after.

I've just found your thread about them that you posted in 2016, and you mention these ones, "Igarashi N 2738?51" are they ok with standard heng long RX18's?
Absolutely. They only use about 2.5 amps max each. An 1800mah pack gets me about 30 minutes of (quite instoppable) driving through heavy terrain. Just put-putting at my parking, gets me 45 minutes, sometimes even an hour.

Mind You, they seem to lack torque but that’s only because 5-poles take a tiny bit longer to spool up to max rpm. The aren’t as “punchy” as 3-poles. Which -in my book- is great for older ww2 tanks.

In the end, it’s Your preferences in driving that decide if 5-poles are for You. Oh, and they also run great at 11.1v. So, the moment You use a 3s pack on an IBU, or Elmod set to 3s, they get rather peppy. A tad faster even than stock Heng Long.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Hi Nexusys,
what motor/gearbox combo do you have in your T-90 ?
The Taigen option you looked at is a 3:1gearbox with mid/low motors.
The 4:1 gearbox will probably not fit because they only come with high/low motors. Probably why Taigen do not list any for the T-90.
In Australia, I think your best option would be Tankarmy Ultimate Edition II gearboxes.

Cheers
Afrikakorps
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee