Want to build, but don't want to pay Tamiya prices

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Soup
Recruit

Want to build, but don't want to pay Tamiya prices

Post by Soup »

Seems to be three ways to get into this hobby.
1) Buy a ready to run tank (Heng long, Taigen, Torro etc)
2) Build a Tamiya tank (V V V V costly)
3) Build from scratch (Maybe after three~four tanks but not for a beginer)

Now I want to build, not quite down to the drill a hole then tap it level, but certainly more than the snap on a few 'scale items' ( shovels, tow hooks etc), but I do not want to spend the ridiculous amounts that Tamiya kits can command (£999.99 for a js2 8O https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/produc ... ll-option/ yes I realise I can get cheaper by shopping around this was just the first example I could find).
So is there any company who does 'build it up' tank kits (I have RC gear but no other tank electronics). At reasonable prices (£300~£500 . Lower limit I can live with, upper limit I will have to do some serious convincing of the wife )?

Just as an aside (and no specifics, just in general) where use of a NiMh battery is mandated can a LiPo be used with some sort of voltage alarm . Or is it really a case of 'it very much depends on...' .
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Want to build, but don't want to pay Tamiya prices

Post by tomhugill »

Lipos can be used where NiMH can.

If you want to build something keep searching eBay till a second hand kit comes up, which is fairly regularly. They tend to be tigers, king tigers, Sherman's with the odd panther/jagdpanther and panzer IV.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Just a thought, you may want to try picking up a cheap HL tank and then buy a resin kit to get the building you want and the added benefit of a different model. Just say'n...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

dgsselkirk wrote:Just a thought, you may want to try picking up a cheap HL tank and then buy a resin kit to get the building you want and the added benefit of a different model. Just say'n...
Excellent suggestion!
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I did a build thread on a HL chassis with a resin conversion Jagdpanzer IV. Came out pretty good. Here's a link to it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24699

Also just finished up a Coelian turret on a Panther chassis, pictures to come. Also have a Stug III Ausf A conversion to work on here shortly.

The nice thing is that you get to build, and then have a pretty much one of a kind tank.

Of course, you could just go all in and do one of these...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20586

Dig through the Heng Long section. There are plenty of conversion to be found there. Also, I don't think you cry as much chopping up a brand new HL as you do when you cut up a new Tamiya!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

Have a look on eBay for Taigen Tiger kits...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3106093884
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
Pak36
Private

Post by Pak36 »

2S Lipo ..... 7.4V

6 pack NiMh ... 7.2V

Small difference, but as Son of a Gunner said....check whatever you are using is OK for LiPo, as Lipo batteries not only provide a bit more voltage, they can also supply a LOT more current under load, and hold the voltage longer, so not all the electronics are going to like it. I have blown servos designed for 6V running them at 7.4, and some of the cheaper electronics may not be up to the task. They may be OK...they may end up having a shorter working life, or they could go pop right away.

My Clark TK22 board, for example, states it is able to run on 7.2-7.4V, so it's OK with a Lipo. It runs servos with a BEC at 6V, so it's all good. I wouldn't run the stock HL electronics on it though.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

£300 will get you a good used Tamiya Sherman, with MFU, or possibly a Tiger? Just batteries and you are up and running.

£300 will also get you pretty much any Taigen tank, with an RX18 and metal gearboxes. If you want to make it a 'nice' tank you need to budget £40 for steel gearboxes and around £100 for a control board, so £440. You can knock £100 off if you buy the latest Taigen stuff that has a nice quality soundboard in it (but no IR battling against the Tamiya/Elmod/IBU/Clark).

It is well nigh impossible to build a tank yourself for less, though the luck of the Ebay draw may be with you. Scratch builds aren't always a cheap option, as the electronics and gearboxes are £140 minimum before you get the styrene out, and unless you are very skilled you still have to buy a lower hull, tracks, sprockets and idlers. Around £100? So that's £240 and you wouldn't yet have a tank.

The Lipo route is ok if you already have them, and a charger, but honestly I have been running the same 3700-4200mah Nimh packs for years and they are still perfect.

Lipo's do come with certain risks...if you have Facebook this guy learnt the hard way...

https://www.facebook.com/cbercfab/posts ... 0394533079 :/
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I also baulked at Tamiya prices, but didn't want to buy a ready to run tank so I bought a kit of parts for a Torro/Taigen King Tiger from Dave at Forgebear. Dave was able to supply me with everything I wanted to be able to assemble my own tank. I also bought an Open Panzer board and ESC from Hobbyking.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I managed to pick up a Tamiya Tiger 1 from here for £160, just needed a board, ibu2u coming for my birthday in a couple of weeks
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions”