Hatch delete PZ III

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Ragnar
Corporal

Hatch delete PZ III

Post by Ragnar »

Seriously thinking of filing off the small molded on hatch’s on forward section of the turret, believe they’ve been deleted on the metal Pz III and IV turrets. And it looks much nicer and will give a smoother surface for decal numbers.
Thinking of using foam board finger nail files.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Pak36
Private

Re: Hatch delete PZ III

Post by Pak36 »

I took mine off. I cut the bulk off with a sharp blade, then finished with sanding. A few coats of hi-build primer and a fresh coat of matt dark tellow and she was all good.

I was converting my tank to a PzIII N and these did not have the hatches....but I had to use the early turret as the Ausf N did not have spaced armour on the mantlet. And that had the hatches!
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Hatch delete PZ III

Post by Raminator »

Ragnar wrote:Seriously thinking of filing off the small molded on hatch’s on forward section of the turret, believe they’ve been deleted on the metal Pz III and IV turrets.
It will depend on what version Panzer III you are planning to model (if you are concerned about details like that). I believe the vision blocks on the turret sides were removed from the Ausf. L onwards, since the schürzen that were fitted from then on would have rendered them pretty useless.

A fine razor saw is the easiest way to cut off surface details like this; if you lay the saw flat on the turret wall with the teeth facing upward, you'll be able to cut the hatch off completely. A quick sand and primer coat, and it'll be ready to be repainted.

Return to “General Questions”