Metal tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Ragnar
Corporal

Metal tracks

Post by Ragnar »

Just asking opinions here.
who in your mind makes the better metal tank tracks Taigen or Mato, or is there a 3rd? And why.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: Metal tracks

Post by capt midnight »

I think that all the tracks I've gotten from Tank Army have been closed pin, and really great castings. You have to pay shipping from Au, but that just gives you an excuse to make a big order! Their winterketten are fabulous!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Hi Ragnar,
i would say that it depends on which tank you are getting them for, ie panzer 3 or tiger 1 etc.
From my experience the newer HL ones are very good, but also recent Taigen tracks for late tiger1 are also excellent.
Early diecast HL KV-1 tracks did shatter, being brittle, but i just got some recently and they are great.
Cheers
Afrikakorps
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Afrikakorps wrote:Hi Ragnar,
i would say that it depends on which tank you are getting them for, ie panzer 3 or tiger 1 etc.
From my experience the newer HL ones are very good, but also recent Taigen tracks for late tiger1 are also excellent.
Early diecast HL KV-1 tracks did shatter, being brittle, but i just got some recently and they are great.
Cheers
Afrikakorps
Looking for my PZ III reason for the PZ IV Tracks is their of course a bit longer giving me extras for mounting on the front.
Aliexpress has Mato tracks on sale with free shipping from Au.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

My experience shows that Mato metal tracks work well with mato sprockets and road wheels. Taigen works perfect with own wheels. Their dimensions are a tiny bit different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Plus mato sprockets don’t fit Taigen gearboxes as the shaft is too big. They appear to be made to prevent mixing

Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

RenoirLV is perfectly correct. I would stick with the metal tracks that match the brand of panzer III that you have.
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

How much of a mismatch is there between the Mato and Taigen tracks? I've got a set of metal tracks for my Nashorn build, but I don't know who made them and they don't seem to mesh great with the Heng Long metal sprockets I've got. I'll have to dig them up and measure to see where they're not fitting, but do you think I'd be able to file the teeth of the sprocket to force a fit?
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

I can only say about Tiger 1. They fit but not too well. It’s operational but not smooth. Slip off easily in backward movement etc. Mato tracks are narrower and don’t mesh as well either.

Started as a tank man.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Afrikakorps wrote:RenoirLV is perfectly correct. I would stick with the metal tracks that match the brand of panzer III that you have.
Now there’s something I had not thought of’ makes sense though to match your tracks with your sprockets and ldlers.
I bought my sprockets and idlers from Taigen/Imex and had pretty much decided on their tracks’ had checked with Erik and was told there be another shipment of PZ 4 tracks in 3 to 4 weeks.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III

Return to “General Questions”