Unusual Tiger I

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:54 am

While surfing the internet..... I came across this interesting photo.

Is this one of the famed Fehrmann Tiger tanks? It appears to have an early turret and cupola, late steel wheels and zimmerit paste. Smoke discharger forward mounted on hull, spare track hangers

Maybe a late war cobbled together unitImage
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby Raminator » Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 am

Unlikely to be a Fehrmann tank, since the photo appears to be in Poland. Certainly an interesting mix of early and late production features, though.
Raminator
Staff Sergeant

Postby Ad Lav » Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Looks good though, I like it!
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby jarndice » Sat May 12, 2018 1:32 pm

What I find interesting is that while a large proportion of Tigers never carried turret numbers they all had the Balkan Cross on the side of the body except this one seems not to ?

jarndice
Captain

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:48 pm

It's definitely an interesting piece. Is it safe to say that tigers from the training school may have made it to other locations at the end of the war like Fehrmann's Tiger group of mixed and matched Tigers? Or is this one simply a matter of field modification
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby jarndice » Sat May 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Carl, Wolfgang Schneiders Tigers in Combat 11 has an interesting final chapter on the various Odd Tiger formations,
in the last days of the European war one of these untitled formations consisted of a number of Tanks and Tank destroyers in and around the Polish city of Posen in the early months of 1945,
Interesting reading,
A small vignette being where a Tiger1 was defending a Panther crew who were changing a track under fire, as the Tiger started to reverse the throttle linkage broke !!!
The loader (These were always small but very tough men) jumped onto the back of the Tiger and singlehandedly lifted up the armoured engine hatch and controlled the accelerator by hand as the tiger reversed to safety!!
Strength and raw courage.

jarndice
Captain

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:54 pm

jarndice wrote:Carl, Wolfgang Schneiders Tigers in Combat 11 has an interesting final chapter on the various Odd Tiger formations,
in the last days of the European war one of these untitled formations consisted of a number of Tanks and Tank destroyers in and around the Polish city of Posen in the early months of 1945,
Interesting reading,
A small vignette being where a Tiger1 was defending a Panther crew who were changing a track under fire, as the Tiger started to reverse the throttle linkage broke !!!
The loader (These were always small but very tough men) jumped onto the back of the Tiger and singlehandedly lifted up the armoured engine hatch and controlled the accelerator by hand as the tiger reversed to safety!!
Strength and raw courage.
Fantastic story about the combat action! Well worth the photo I posted just for this story alone
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon May 14, 2018 5:02 am

In this picture of note is the PzIV stowage bin.
Look up hybrid tiger 1 and this pic comes up.
I did read up on it during various research, but deemed it not worth keeping the info on.
I believe the pic is in Hungary but I cannot be certain.
You sure do see a lot of pictures when looking for Tiger info !!
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Postby B_Man » Mon May 14, 2018 12:16 pm

It has s-mine launchers installed on the hull as well. Does anyone know when they stopped using them? I thought it was fairly early on?
B_Man
Corporal

Postby jarndice » Mon May 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Smoke Candle Dischargers were first fitted in August 1942,
Smoke Candle Dischargers were no longer fitted from June 1943,

"S" Mines were fitted from January 1943,
"S" Mines were no longer fitted from October 1943.
So if Smoke dischargers are on the Tiger 1 and "S" Mine dischargers are on the Tank at the same time,
Then the picture was likely taken between January 1943 and June 1943.

jarndice
Captain

Postby Soeren » Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 am

And these people aren't wearing summer clothes for sure. On the other hand, you date range would identify the production time of the tiger but not necessarily when the picture was taken.

Soeren
Staff Sergeant

Postby Tiggr » Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 am

Great picture and info guys.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue May 15, 2018 11:28 am

Soeren wrote:And these people aren't wearing summer clothes for sure. On the other hand, you date range would identify the production time of the tiger but not necessarily when the picture was taken.

This is true, the picture could have been taken a year after the tank was knocked out.

Great picture and discussion Carl :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Soeren wrote:And these people aren't wearing summer clothes for sure. On the other hand, you date range would identify the production time of the tiger but not necessarily when the picture was taken.

This is true, the picture could have been taken a year after the tank was knocked out.

Great picture and discussion Carl
Thanks Mick. I think it's a wonderful diversion from reality and keeps us engaged in kind banter
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue May 15, 2018 6:20 pm

c.rainford73 wrote:Thanks Mick. I think it's a wonderful diversion from reality and keeps us engaged in kind banter

For me, it's what forums are all about :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Jnewboy » Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 am

And then there is the possibility of photo shop :/ . It sounds weird but I have seen bizarre threads on historical forums leading to someone uncovering the actual "before" photo. :problem:

My problem with it is of course a tank with that turret would have had the original wheels. It is possible that it is a Frankenstein end of war job but if this is the case they were done with adding zimmerit by then.

Also if you notice, Hitler is standing right in the middle of the picture, another signal that someone may of had some fun :haha:
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby Soeren » Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am

Hi there, the paint looks rough, could this be zimmerit? The moustache on the young fella besides the tank was quite prevalent at that time, even outside the realms of nazidome.

Soeren
Staff Sergeant

Postby midlife306 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 am

I’m going to have my hair cut like Donald Trump!
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306
Sergeant

Postby Soeren » Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 am

Just remember Mr. Charlie Chaplin.

Soeren
Staff Sergeant

Postby Jnewboy » Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Soeren wrote:Hi there, the paint looks rough, could this be zimmerit? The moustache on the young fella besides the tank was quite prevalent at that time, even outside the realms of nazidome.

If you look close it is not the standard zimmerit coat for a tiger, it looks rough, no in line work, texture is almost like mud or plaster. It is not paint peeling. If this picture is real it challenges alot of information and should be investigated.
Jnewboy
Corporal

Next

Return to General Questions