Best scale tank crew figures and torsos?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
gp100
Private

Re: Best scale tank crew figures and torsos?

Post by gp100 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
gp100 wrote:The first time I laid my eyes on the tank commander with no legs that came with my tiger 1, I had only one thought...

Good lord.. The Germans are getting so desperate, they're sending double amputees into the war now!
Ermm..that would be "triple amputee'' for a gentleman, I think... :lolno:
Damn.... I never thought of that... But your right.. 8O

If I was that poor guy, I wouldn't have any reason to live..
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Xion do some nice ones.

A good figure finishes off a tank well, but I am loathed the spend £50 per figure. I normally buy Tamiya ones and adapt them, not a fan of resin although the detail is better.

https://shop.xion.de/Military-Figures-1 ... 2aqnbaa800
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Xion do some nice ones.

A good figure finishes off a tank well, but I am loathed the spend £50 per figure. I normally buy Tamiya ones and adapt them, not a fan of resin although the detail is better.

https://shop.xion.de/Military-Figures-1 ... 2aqnbaa800
Thanks for that, Adam. It's a pity their thumbnail pics are fairly small, but even so, the panzer figures still do look quite detailed.
Two Panzer half figures from Xion in Germany
Two Panzer half figures from Xion in Germany
Panzer figures from xion.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Whilst trawling for that, I happened upon this very useful chart of colours used to depict Panzer uniforms. :thumbup: It comes from Axel's Modellbau, though I've never seen it listed there on my (virtual) shopping excursions
Panzer Uniform colours- chart from Axel's Modellbau
Panzer Uniform colours- chart from Axel's Modellbau
:) Clicking will enhance the detail slightly.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

These are the heikes ones I spoke of

http://modellbaugasse.de/epages/b94bee0 ... tegories/5

Imnot such a fan of the Russians (though I've used the heads and they're nice) but the German ones look excellent
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Jnewboy wrote:Mine are not bad, especially considering the time you will save not painting! :P

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1-18-Jnewboy-Cus ... 2952325538
Not at all bad, and I'm also impressed by your enterprise :thumbup:
But did they really smoke loco weed in those days, as that looks suspiciously like a joint in his hand ? :eh: :haha:
This forum has a lot of talented people drifting though its portals...some perhaps on a cloud of wacky backy :shh: 8O
Just jesting, of course. I must check out some of your other creations :wave:
If I had been on the eastern front a little weed may have been a welcome distraction! You are right though, I should make home s proper pipe!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tomhugill wrote:These are the heikes ones I spoke of

http://modellbaugasse.de/epages/b94bee0 ... tegories/5

Imnot such a fan of the Russians (though I've used the heads and they're nice) but the German ones look excellent
Thanks, Tom
Since I'm creating some sort of 1/16 military figure catwalk here, I'll include some examples from your link. Again, prices seem to range from around £20 up to £40 (although quoted in Euros, of course...)
Here's the German Kommandant:
German Kommandant- a kickass figure even without the legs..
German Kommandant- a kickass figure even without the legs..
German Panzerkommandant.jpg (147.9 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
and his Loader:
German Loader- Deutscher Richtschüze
German Loader- Deutscher Richtschüze
German Loader- Deutscher Richtschüze.jpg (191.6 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
This Russian figure, at twice the price, seems to have been modelled on Prince Andrew! 8O Here he is giving his selection for the 3.30 horserace at Royal Ascot, to the Battalion's unofficial Bookie.. Putin Zerbetzon ;)
Prince Andrew as a Russian Tank Commander with Putin Zerbetzon- the battalion Bookie
Prince Andrew as a Russian Tank Commander with Putin Zerbetzon- the battalion Bookie
Russian Tank commander.jpg (220.52 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

In my opinion 1/18 scale tankers look better. And if you're using the ultimate Soldier / 21st century toys they are over-scaled anyway they are actually about 1/17th scale. Do you want an idea of some of the Russian ones I've done Google Jay new boy customs t-34. That's a t-34 I did in 1/18 scale a few years back. It's a totally custom resin kit and I made the tankers. If people are interested in these things I can make a lot more.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jnewboy wrote:In my opinion 1/18 scale tankers look better. And if you're using the ultimate Soldier / 21st century toys they are over-scaled anyway they are actually about 1/17th scale. Do you want an idea of some of the Russian ones I've done Google Jay new boy customs t-34. That's a t-34 I did in 1/18 scale a few years back. It's a totally custom resin kit and I made the tankers. If people are interested in these things I can make a lot more.
Interesting observation, now not-so-newboy :thumbup: I agree, in this instance marginally smaller is probably better than marginally too large. This doesn't apply with one's personal wardrobe, of course.. :haha:
I agree with you, by the way, about the detached perspective a toke two of weed might have afforded troops on the Nightmarish Easter front. I recall in the years that I was at Uni, and Vietnam wasn't the holiday destination it is today, there were lots of reports of troops using the barrels of their M16's as chillums for the therapeutic effects of the local weed... :crazy: Who could blame them?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:
Licmas Russian commander.jpg
As you're doing a figure reference including size referencing, I found this one a tad on the large size, and a bit chunky, a tad big for a Sherman or commandeered German tank.
Of course, from a slightly abstract take on the perception angle, it might be that the Russian is the right size, and your tank shrank slightly in the wash... :think: :D

Return to “General Questions”