Best scale tank crew figures and torsos?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Having had a whinge lately about Tamiya providing a piece of (quality?) string lately, in several Full-Option kits (Panther, Pz IV etc.,) to simulated metal tow cables/hawsers, I thought I'd have a whinge at some crew offerings from rival manufacturers. Given that a £900 kit from Tamiya can provide string as a substitute for a metal cable, perhaps it's no surprise that a £400-500 top end Torro, Taigen and £ 300 Heng long can provide these misfits:-
This chunky Heng Long character owes more to Chairman Mao statues, than to WW2 german crewmen:
Hauptmann Von Mao.jpeg
Hauptmann Mao
Hauptmann Von Mao.jpeg (78.84 KiB) Viewed 680 times

It's not simply the lack of detail in these figures that irks, but it's also the case that they're not in the scale they claim to be. After all, you don't want an 8ft tall crewman on top of your prize Tamiya Or Taigen, do you? ;)
Just take a look at Heng Long's Huge Hans. There's just no way someone with his proportions could even get through the cupola into the turret or casemate. :lolno: :eh:
Heng Long Commander A.jpeg
Heng Long's Huge Hans can't get his butt though the hatch

Thwarted, Hans has an animated discussion here with a Lamb's a*rse.
Heng Long Commander B.jpeg
Huge Hans in an intense discussion with a Sheep's buttocks

Here he is making the Tamiya Pz IV hatch look weeny...
Heng Long Huge Hans.jpeg
Huge Hans-tries to get into a Tamiya Cupola unsuccessfully

Ok, Hans is meant to be holding a pet dog..the Abteilung's mascot, I expect. But it could be the Invisible woman.. :think:
Painless and his 'Crazy Joe' have slipped into legend. However, with a £200-300 tank from Taigen, you could get to meet his German cousin, 'Verrückte Josef'. :haha:
Heng Long Verrückte Josef.jpeg
Heng Long- Taigen 'Verrückte Josef' with Hauptmann Mao and lookalike

The point is, however, for a considerable outlay of cash, you should be able to expect better figures than these. :think: If you have seen Tom's Cromwell commander, you'll know what I mean.
The question is, then,who makes the best 1/16 scale tank crew figures? By best, I mean in kit form, or pre-painted and complete?
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:59 pm

My pet "scale" figure irk is 120mm figures being called 16th scale, they are so not 16th, they are 15th, or approx 15.25 for a 6 foot man, a six foot man in 16th is 14.3mm. Whereby I feel I can't trust vendors statements that a figure is 16th.
I send a figure manufacture an email asking how tall his figures were that he stated were 16th before I purchased any. He came back with 120mm, needless to say, I didn't have any further dealings with him.
I have since bought pre painted heng long, and tamiya figure kits.
Manufacturers also forget that in the past, war time people on average were a lot slimmer than people today.
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Postby PainlessWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Good morning,
Wait til' you see what I can do with a 1/6 scale figure.! Hah! Hah! I say. ( I completely agree. I have a lot more fun painting Tamiya figures and usually wind up with a passable looking Commander or crewman. If I am being forced to tart up a HL or Taigen figure, I concentrate on the uniform and adding headset wires, etc. Not much I can do with those faces...)
regards,
Painless
User avatar
PainlessWolf
Major
 
Posts: 5947
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:40 pm

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
Wait til' you see what I can do with a 1/6 scale figure.! Hah! Hah! I say. ( I completely agree. I have a lot more fun painting Tamiya figures and usually wind up with a passable looking Commander or crewman. If I am being forced to tart up a HL or Taigen figure, I concentrate on the uniform and adding headset wires, etc. Not much I can do with those faces...)
regards,
Painless

I've not begun to tart these freebies up yet, Painless. They're not exactly a great basis for model painting in the first place. Models with credible facial features, and anatomical dimensions don't seem to appear in 1/16th scale.
I have a Tamiya freebie, and began to paint his uniform with what they described as 'flat black'. I took 'flat' to mean 'matt'; but it's anything but matt. In fact his tunic is so shiny it could have been worn by Liberace. :lolno:
For the present, then, that commander is back in his box. At least his facial features look human. Tom's Cromwell commander looks good, but I believe he was fairly expansive and bespoke.. :think:

The image of 'Crazy Joe' in 1:6 scale really doesn't bear thinking about.. 8O :D
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby gp100 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am

The first time I laid my eyes on the tank commander with no legs that came with my tiger 1, I had only one thought...

Good lord.. The Germans are getting so desperate, they're sending double amputees into the war now!
User avatar
gp100
Private
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:44 am

gp100 wrote:The first time I laid my eyes on the tank commander with no legs that came with my tiger 1, I had only one thought...

Good lord.. The Germans are getting so desperate, they're sending double amputees into the war now!

I would have thought you imagined them using extras from saving private Ryan as tank commander subject models ;)
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Postby tomhugill » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Hey Roy,

My Cromwell commander was from forgebear and is a dgs (dgskirk on here) creation, he also does a driver figure. Price is about £20 for the commander and slightly less for the crewman. My others were from twmodelltechnik sadly no longer in business.

For general (read german) figuees alpine miniatures are the best, koleso884 (seller on eBay) has some fantastic figures at reasonable prices, heikes modellbaugasse has some lovely German and russian crew (I used the shouty one on my panther), sol models do American, IDF and German crew, their sculpts are excellent.

If you can find them the verlinden crews were ok although would represent a taller person being 120mm.

tomhugill
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Tom, aren't Sol 120mm too?
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Postby tomhugill » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Tom, aren't Sol 120mm too?


Some are some are 1/16, they do a Sherman crew in both scales

tomhugill
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Cool, thanks :thumbup:
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm

tomhugill wrote:Hey Roy,

My Cromwell commander was from forgebear and is a dgs (dgskirk on here) creation, he also does a driver figure. Price is about £20 for the commander and slightly less for the crewman. My others were from twmodelltechnik sadly no longer in business.

For general (read german) figuees alpine miniatures are the best, koleso884 (seller on eBay) has some fantastic figures at reasonable prices, heikes modellbaugasse has some lovely German and russian crew (I used the shouty one on my panther), sol models do American, IDF and German crew, their sculpts are excellent.

If you can find them the verlinden crews were ok although would represent a taller person being 120mm.


Thanks, Tom for the detailed info, and I do recall a discussion now on Dean's figures. I'll certainly check Koleso884 on Ebay, as well as the other links. :thumbup:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I'll post a few images from the links that Tom suggested, as well as others that may emerge, so we can have a rough idea of what's around.
These are from Licmas in Germany and available on Ebay here as well.( https://heng-long-panzer.de/en/advanced ... words=long )
Licmas Panzer Kommander.jpg
Panzer Kommander from Licmas tanks
Licmas Panzer Kommander.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 565 times

Licmas Russian commander.jpg
Russian Commander from Licmas
Licmas Russian commander.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 565 times

Tankrider A.jpg
Tankrider pic A
Tankrider A.jpg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 565 times

Tankrider b.jpg
German Tankrider pic B
Tankrider b.jpg (31.63 KiB) Viewed 565 times


All of these are a class apart from Crazy Joe and Freaky Fritz, and seem reasonable priced in around the £20+ mark, I think. The Tankriders are from Koleso884 in the Russian Federation.
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby silversurfer1947 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:28 pm

There is quite a range of figures to be found on Aliexpress though you need to trawl through. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180319062857&SearchText=1%3A16+resin+figure
User avatar
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:37 pm

silversurfer1947 wrote:There is quite a range of figures to be found on Aliexpress though you need to trawl through. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180319062857&SearchText=1%3A16+resin+figure


I was going to write this link too.

the only thing I dont buy at aliexpress is the food, lol.
User avatar
Rad_Schuhart
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:22 am
Location: Spanish living in Graz, Austria. Heart in UK.

Postby capt midnight » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:11 pm

I've gotten a couple of figures from koleso884 for my Pz III. They are really well cast, natural poses, and decently priced. Here's the link to my PZ III show off thread and you can see the figures...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23597

The commander figure is a modified HL, the other 2 are the resin ones. I'm wanting to get some of the winter riders to throw on my whitewashed PZ IV.

Bill
User avatar
capt midnight
Corporal
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:22 am
Location: Southern Indiana

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks, Richard and Rad for the AliExpress link. Is there a particular reason why the Turkish branch seems to come up? Not that it matters, I just had to smile because every fourth image is of a sultry female in uniform, and definitely not wearing the requisite modest attire.. 8O :haha:
I liked this laconic looking German trooper especially. He could sit on a battered Panzer very well:
Laconic German soldier.jpg
Laconic war weary German soldier in 1/16
Laconic German soldier.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 511 times
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby silversurfer1947 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:28 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:Thanks, Richard and Rad for the AliExpress link. Is there a particular reason why the Turkish branch seems to come up? Not that it matters, I just had to smile because every fourth image is of a sultry female in uniform, and definitely not wearing the requisite modest attire.. 8O :haha:
I liked this laconic looking German trooper especially. He could sit on a battered Panzer very well:
Laconic German soldier.jpg

It comes up in English for me.
User avatar
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 pm

capt midnight wrote:I've gotten a couple of figures from koleso884 for my Pz III. They are really well cast, natural poses, and decently priced. Here's the link to my PZ III show off thread and you can see the figures...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23597

The commander figure is a modified HL, the other 2 are the resin ones. I'm wanting to get some of the winter riders to throw on my whitewashed PZ IV.

Bill


Many thanks for the link Bill; a superb build, and the DAK figures a perfect fit. :thumbup: They're well worth investing in. So much so, I thought I'd post one of your pics here to illustrate the point :D
Bill's DAK crewman.jpg
Capt Midnight's DAK crewmen and Pz 111..

:thumbup: :wave:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:13 pm

silversurfer1947 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Thanks, Richard and Rad for the AliExpress link. Is there a particular reason why the Turkish branch seems to come up? Not that it matters, I just had to smile because every fourth image is of a sultry female in uniform, and definitely not wearing the requisite modest attire.. 8O :haha:
I liked this laconic looking German trooper especially. He could sit on a battered Panzer very well:
Laconic German soldier.jpg

It comes up in English for me.



Hmmm..puzzling. :wtf: Every time I click on it, I get the Turkish window on the world. There is a link to the 'global English site' on the top right, however. It may be that I once arrived at the Turkish site before, and the cookie remained in the Mac's memory, so that the next time I linked to AliExpress from another source, the browser used the most recent cookie to patch me into Mustapha Model's Turkish branch.. :wtf:

just edited this because when I typed 'next', as in "..the next time I linked..", this damned predictive text gremlin converted the text to "..the nice time I.."'. A nice time would be nice..if it were next @)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Must be something like that, I get English as well.
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Next

Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests