Brake light question: To brake, or not to brake.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
gp100
Private

Brake light question: To brake, or not to brake.

Post by gp100 »

To brake, or not to brake.. This is the question.. Alas my poor Tiger, I knew it well...

Okay, but seriously.. I have the Tiger 1 mid version from Taigen.. Now, I haven't seen a Tiger 1 with a brake light out there. So I assume they never had one in the design specs when the Germans built them? Or perhaps it wasn't a big deal back then?

But, I would like to add a brake light to my tank.. So, my questions are, would it look stupid with one on it if they never had them? And two, where could I find one if I wanted to put one on..

And has anyone done this before?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it. :thumbup:
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Brake light question: To brake, or not to brake.

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I like the lights, so I install in all of my tanks:

Working warm white headlights. (not the xenon white ones the heng long tank uses)
Red rearlight with braking function.
Working warm white searchlight in turret.
At least two working machine guns

And in some tanks too:
Convoy lights.

It gives a lot of life to the model.

About where to buy one... I do my own lights. Just find the leds you need in aliexpress/ebay... I use usually 3mm warm white leds for the front lights, and SMD leds for the rear ones.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
No brake lights on Tiger 1s. If you have the rear reflector made up and painted reflective red and have added a working Convoy light in blue or green, you have it covered for rear bulkhead illumination. Up front, definitely, per early or late version, add the headlights and blackout covers and a couple of working MGs. I agree with Rad, Light em' up!
regards,
Painless
Attachments
A little weathered around the edges just like the real thing..jpg
Convoy wiring was kept in the lower hull by connecting it to a servo plug and using channel 7 on the RX.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The convoy lights are designed so that if you are following too close you can't see the light, I think they are set so that you have to be something like 30ft behind to see it, the angles on the light cover determine the angle at which the light is emitted. So, rather than a brake light, if the driver of the following tank suddenly sees the light disappear in the dark he knows that the tank in front has slowed down or stopped.

There are pics of Panzer III convoy lights on the web, these have three different colour lights in them, and a flip up cover for day/night use. The colour the following tank sees tells them what the tank in front is doing.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies..

Painless, I like the blue light in the back.. Yes, that was what I want.. I like lights.. We need more lights..
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..

Return to “General Questions”