Which of these gearboxes for torque

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Which of these gearboxes for torque

Post by bikerdude »

Hi all, I'm planning on making a tank for the kids to use on the beach on holiday. I'll be using the Tiger running gear, but I'm unsure on which to use, of the 2 gearboxes in the following links. I'm looking for torque rather than speed as they like to build bumps and dig ditches to drive through. I'm thinking of something fairly simple, WWI-ish, with the tracks going all the way around the outside of the hull, so was going to use a couple of sets of tracks joined together, drive sprockets/gearboxes mounted at the rear, so working the opposite to normal.

Anyway, the gearboxes I'm looking at are these:

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p3 ... 203-S.html

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p2 ... _Tank.html

At the moment I'm leaning towards the ones in the first link, they just look a little more substantial.

Also has anyone ever tried running these motors on 12v? I won't be using a tank specific control board so voltage for that won't matter, just don't want to burn out the motors.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Which of these gearboxes for torque

Post by tomhugill »

Second set, despite saying 5:1 they're no where near as robust or torquey as the 4:1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

tomhugill wrote:Second set, despite saying 5:1 they're no where near as robust or torquey as the 4:1
What he said.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Second set and you could fit 480 motors for more torque ,but you would need to upgrade the electrics .

regards pete
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Thanks, I'll order the ones in the 2nd link then. Do the upgraded 480 motors come with the little sprocket on already? Electronics will be 2 separate car ESC's, with a mixer unit to stop/reverse 1 motor to turn. As it's for the kids it won't need any sounds, and I don't think I'll fit a turret. Might use a foggy unit from a boat, runs on water with a computer fan to blow it out the funnel.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi just need to pull the drive cog off the motor and press it on new one.

regards pete
Kostyanchik
Private

Post by Kostyanchik »

first gearboxes with gear ratio 1: 45,66
second gears with gear ratio 1: 88,97.
The larger the gear ratio, the greater the torque.
using translator
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The problem with those series three motors is that in some models, without sufficient sideways leeway, the electrical terminals of the respective motors can almost come into contact.. :think:
It should also be borne in mind, that 480 motors are quite bit longer-- and bulkier- than 360 and 380 models. Once again, finding sufficient room for them could possibly pose a challenge. :problem: As for changing the drive pinion (gear)
pinion pullers/gear pullers for DC motors can be bought fairly cheaply from Hobby stores, or Amazon and Ebay.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Space won't be an issue for me, I'll just make it wide enough to take the 480 motors. I'll cut the sides to shape and fit the wheels, idlers, gearboxes sprockets and tracks, then make the middle section to allow room for everything, including a boat smoke unit that uses tap water instead of burning oil.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hmm, interesting that, all the boat guys I know constantly quiz me about tank smoke units..
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions”