Smoke Units.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SlussmanSr
Recruit

Smoke Units.

Post by SlussmanSr »

I am wanting to make a smoke unit. What kind of diode? do I use for the heating element internally? I am very new to this hobby, ie 2 months....
Thanks,
SlussmanSr
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Smoke Units.

Post by midlife306 »

Hi,
You can pick up a Tar smoke unit from about £15, it’s a nice quiet improvement over the std unit.
I run a Tar unit but I’d like a lot more smoke at startup. My son in law has one of these e-cig things & it can put out seriously antisocial amounts of smoke.
I had a good look at it & I think it would be an easy mod to fit it to run alongside the Tar unit.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maccrage
Corporal

Re: Smoke Units.

Post by Maccrage »

midlife306 wrote:Hi,
You can pick up a Tar smoke unit from about £15, it’s a nice quiet improvement over the std unit.
I run a Tar unit but I’d like a lot more smoke at startup. My son in law has one of these e-cig things & it can put out seriously antisocial amounts of smoke.
I had a good look at it & I think it would be an easy mod to fit it to run alongside the Tar unit.
Cheers
Wayne

Oh, maybe figure out a way to hook it into the battle unit. Then when the tank is destroyed, it can "brew up."
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, good thinking!

Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

SlussmanSr wrote:I am wanting to make a smoke unit. What kind of diode? do I use for the heating element internally? I am very new to this hobby, ie 2 months....
Thanks,
SlussmanSr
Hey Kyle! Great to see you here! This is Steve from idaho.

Be well,
Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

You use a wire wound resistor, and I use a 10 ohm, 1 watt wire wound for this

phpBB [video]

and I added a fan as well. There are a few threads about on making your own smoker. I asume you want it for a tank? If you're putting it in a wreck or a bombed out building that's a different animal.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Having burnt out 2 Tarr smokers in my burning buildings, I would love to read your thoughts on a suitable smoker, Gary.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Richard, I might start with a slightly larger metal box than the tarr has, first using the 10 ohm 1 watt and a fan, running on straight 7.4 lipo. You might even use two resistors for more smoke. A pair of slightly larger output tubes, maybe 1/4 imch ID, could deliver smoke to each end of a building, or use one to provide general smoke and one under a window to get more smoke from that one point.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
SlussmanSr
Recruit

Post by SlussmanSr »

Norton1 wrote:
SlussmanSr wrote:I am wanting to make a smoke unit. What kind of diode? do I use for the heating element internally? I am very new to this hobby, ie 2 months....
Thanks,
SlussmanSr
Hey Kyle! Great to see you here! This is Steve from idaho.

Be well,
Steve
Hi Steve, glad that you said hi. Hope things work out for your board I sent....
Kyle
SlussmanSr
Recruit

Post by SlussmanSr »

Max-U52 wrote:You use a wire wound resistor, and I use a 10 ohm, 1 watt wire wound for this

phpBB [video]

and I added a fan as well. There are a few threads about on making your own smoker. I asume you want it for a tank? If you're putting it in a wreck or a bombed out building that's a different animal.
Tks for the info Max!

Return to “General Questions”