Smoke Units.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Smoke Units.

Post by Max-U52 »

Obviously you won't need a hundred feet, but this is what you're looking for. It's woven or braided so you can tease out the smaller threads (maybe I should say un-ravel) and use as many as you need to deliver the amount of oil you want. For a tank I use three or four threads, wrapped around the body of the resistor, like in the video.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/us/shop/produ ... evlar-Rope

8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

and here's a 4 ft section for .54 cents a foot. I'm sure y'all have something like Home Depot over there, or from what I've heard, ya never know what ya might find at Aldi! @)

https://www.homeofpoi.com/us/shop/produ ... evlar-Rope
Last edited by Max-U52 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Found this in the UK, quarter inch though, will it do?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kevlar-Rope-Ro ... mwBanner=1
That looks perfect. Just unravel a few inches and experiment with how much you need for the number of wraps you're using (I try to get at least four), and how many threads you want. Three or four if they're thick enough, more for thinner threads. It's really just trial and error, but the video gives you an idea of how easy it is to set up a test platform. If you nose around my youtube channel around the same date you should find more, like attaching a fan and what-not. I only recommend the bigger box because you have a much large smoke requirement. If you're just doing a chimney in a guard shack a stock smoker conversion like the one in my Jagdpanther should be enough.
SlussmanSr
Recruit

Post by SlussmanSr »

Max-U52 wrote:You wrap the Kevlar wick around the ceramic body of the resistor a few times and let the ends fall into the wadding that holds the oil. As for running two in parallel and frying boards, for you, Richard that won't be a concern in a building as you'll have no board, just a power supply with an on/off switch, and i should have said run the two resistors in parallel. That will decrease battery life, but I'm assuming you'll be using some sort of low voltage alarm.

I have a video at my youtube channel of how I made the smoker in the JP, I just have to find it. For a building you just need a metal box with a fuel inlet and however many outlet fittings in the top that you want to use, and a fan attached with the resistor inside, and I'd definitely start with just one resistor and see if it produces what you want before I tried two. Best to keep things as simple as we can, eh? 8)
Thanks for the advise Max..
SlussmanSr
Recruit

Post by SlussmanSr »

Max-U52 wrote:Here's one of my early test videos when I first began my smoker education, maybe it will give you ideas, and should show how the wick is wrapped, after the first 30 seconds or so. Hey, I never claimed to be Cecil B. DeMille. 8) :/

phpBB [video]
Gary, what it the produts number from Mauser Elec so I can order some. Thanks Kyle(SlussmanSr)
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

SlussmanSr
Recruit

Post by SlussmanSr »

Max-U52 wrote:Here's one of my early test videos when I first began my smoker education, maybe it will give you ideas, and should show how the wick is wrapped, after the first 30 seconds or so. Hey, I never claimed to be Cecil B. DeMille. 8) :/

phpBB [video]
Gary, can you give me the order number for the resistors you use for the smokers now from Mauser Elec?
Tks, Kyle(SlussmanSr)
Never mind, I just got the info from you. Must be a senior moment!!

Return to “General Questions”