Pinion gear help:

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
gp100
Private

Pinion gear help:

Post by gp100 »

Hi guys,

I just bought a new set of motors to replace a bad one.. The issue is, the pinion gear on the motor is not where it needs to be..

I need to slide the brass gear down the shaft of the new 390 motor.. There is no adjustment screw.. :/

This is a new Taigen 390 motor with the standard pinion.. But I don't have a vice, or anything to adjust it with that I can think of..

The gear needs to go further down the shaft so it will mate with the other gear..

In short,,,,,,,,,,,, HELP I'm stuck..
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Pinion gear help:

Post by midlife306 »

Ensure the opposite end of the motor shaft is supported on something solid, slide a small metal tube over the other end resting on the pinion & give it a LITTLE tap, taking care not to push it down too far.
You’ve got to ignore brute force and ignorance & be really gentle.
Oh if you don’t support the other end of the motor shaft properly you can kill the motor.
If your stuck try a local model shop or club.
ka-pla
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Yup,

Got it.. But must have the wrong motor in it, because it didn't run right.. It was going forward, when the stick on the remote was aimed at 3 o'clock. And rotated the tank into a spin with the joystick at 12 o'clock.. One motor must be going in reverse, while the other is clockwise.. Damn.. The motors aren't marked..

I know electronics.. But don't ever deal with R/C motors in my work.. So, I will submit, that even I don't know it all. :think:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

gp100 wrote:Yup,

Got it.. But must have the wrong motor in it, because it didn't run right.. It was going forward, when the stick on the remote was aimed at 3 o'clock. And rotated the tank into a spin with the joystick at 12 o'clock.. One motor must be going in reverse, while the other is clockwise.. Damn.. The motors aren't marked..

I know electronics.. But don't ever deal with R/C motors in my work.. So, I will submit, that even I don't know it all. :think:
Swap the wires in the motor. If you dont have a soldering iron, swap the wires at the connector with the help of a needle.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
gp100 wrote:Yup,

Swap the wires in the motor. If you dont have a soldering iron, swap the wires at the connector with the help of a needle.
Hi Rad,

Yes. I have a complete soldering station.. I admit to not thinking of this, because my field of expertise doesn't deal with motors like this.. And I don't want to blow the brand new IBU2-Pro board I just got.. So, I just reinstalled the old motor for now..

Will check again tomorrow.. Both red wires are on the + side of the motor.. Wait a..........

Duh.. I should have thought of this.. Reversing the poles will make the motor run in reverse from the way it's running now..

Reversing the voltage would reverse the magnetic polarity of the motor..

Yes, can be done on a brushed motor.. How could I not think of this? What a dumb ass.. I'll get back to you on this..

Thanks Rad for jarring my memory.. I haven't been thinking clearly lately.. Dealing with health issues and just not thinking on my work.. Stupid of me.. So simple a freaking 8 year old can do it..

Now, to just find an 8 year old kid with a soldering iron.... :haha:

Return to “General Questions”