British sherman variants

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
c.rainford73
Major

British sherman variants

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi to all :wave:

As I progress with a couple of projects, I am working on painting and finishing a Firefly and another Sherman in British service.

I know us Yanks Imageliked to paint interesting nicknames on our Shermans and am considering doing something to personalize both of mine in proper English fashion.

Can anyone with experience tell me how they were nicknamed by thier crews ( and not ronson Image) and in what fashion?

I've seen some pictures of very large block lettering and smaller block letters. Image

I want to get this right and hope our esteemed group of tankers can lend some help.

Cheers

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: British sherman variants

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

How about "Thomas Cooker?" :) or 'Too hot to handle". Better still- 'Some like it hot" (The Germans when thinking about the Sherman approaching their 88mm)

Here's an interesting thread from another Forum where Brit tank names are discussed, and especially the Sherman, often citing recollections by ex-Tommies who served in them :thumbup:
http://ww2f.com/threads/sherman-tank-nick-names.55338/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:How about "Thomas Cooker?" :) or 'Too hot to handle". Better still- 'Some like it hot" (The Germans when thinking about the Sherman approaching their 88mm)

Here's an interesting thread from another Forum where Brit tank names are discussed, and especially the Sherman, often citing recollections by ex-Tommies who served in them Image
http://ww2f.com/threads/sherman-tank-nick-names.55338/
Thanks Roy much appreciated I'll check it out Image
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Maybe one could go with.....

Got A Light, or Burning Love
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

c.rainford73 wrote:Can anyone with experience tell me how they were nicknamed by thier crews ( and not ronson Image) and in what fashion?
This document might be of use to you, Carl. It's a list of known named armoured vehicles that served in the British Army from WW1 up until (nearly) the present, including serial numbers and units. WW2 starts on page 11. Have fun!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

What a brilliant find well done, :thumbup:
I can see hours of wearing out my eyeballs reading through this list,
Thanks again.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Raminator wrote:
c.rainford73 wrote:Can anyone with experience tell me how they were nicknamed by thier crews ( and not ronson Image) and in what fashion?
This document might be of use to you, Carl. It's a list of known named armoured vehicles that served in the British Army from WW1 up until (nearly) the present, including serial numbers and units. WW2 starts on page 11. Have fun!
Thanks so muchImage
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Jeez Mr Raminator !!................thats a whole lot of nightime reading 8O

I'm a fan of "Love Child" although its not really a tough tank name ! :shifty:

Years ago I did a Monogram Sherman Caliopie that had "Moma Was a Chevy" painted on the turret...............
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hmm... I'd like to see the World memory Champion, 2017 try reciting that lot :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Theys is a very great find! I truly appreciate your help Raminator

Return to “General Questions”