More realistic speed

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
aikmanmosquito
Recruit

More realistic speed

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Hi, I've got a Heng Long Sherman which I'm modifying, my question is this, are there motors or gears I could install that would reduce the speed to a more realistic speed? and also anyone know of anywhere doing a 1:16 Cullins hedgerow device, or will I have to bring out the plastic strip and build one myself? Oh and one final question, I recall seeing 1;35 scale 'cast' lettering way back, is there the equivalent for 1:16?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: More realistic speed

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's an interesting discussion from a year ago on the subject of hedgerow cutters. :thumbup: Luckily, all the relevant pics from the thread are still intact. Photobucket charges have left many archived threads bereft of illustrations and photos. Members' photo contributions were effectively held to ransom by Photoracket... :thumbdown:
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=21890&p=202699&hi ... er#p202699
You'll find any number of discussions on gearbox ratios here in the Archives. Some have realism as a theme, others with pulling power, torque, etc., In the end, choice will be limited by what's available commercially (3:1; 4:1; and 5:1 ratios in the main). I imagine 5:1 would slow your tank down, and also provide a bit of useful torque. :think:
Here's a discussion from 2016:
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=21693&p=197270&hi ... os#p197270
Hope it helps..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Funny I was just trying to find this last night, but I did remember that using the term 'ratio' is misleading. From what I have read 4.1 is the lowest ratio, torque assisting, gearbox. I prefer calling them 3.1, 4.1 or 5.1.
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Shapeways has the cutter for sale. Not a bad price but then they add $ 15 in shipping so look around if you need anything else! The easiest speed cheat I know of is to block your throttle stick so you can't jam it all the way open. Of course any serious hills or other surfaces that impede the tank it may not have enough torque to go. Gearboxes, aftermarket board, adding some weight to the tank all help as well.
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

So if I interpret Matdragon's gearbox table correctly, the true final drive:motor speed ratios are:

3.1 - 1:39 ratio

4.1 - 1:89 ratio

5.1 - 1:79 ratio (with all five shafts engaged)

In addition to Dean's advice, if you swap to a hobby-grade radio, the throttle stick can be programmed to be less linear in activation, so the initial movement has less effect and you tank doesn't accelerate and do snap spins like Max Vestappen doing a victory celebration.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Funny I was just trying to find this last night, but I did remember that using the term 'ratio' is misleading. From what I have read 4.1 is the lowest ratio, torque assisting, gearbox. I prefer calling them 3.1, 4.1 or 5.1.

It's not the term 'ratio' that's misleading, for in gear trains it's the key descriptor. What's misleading about 4:1, 3:1 etc.. is how these relationships (input/output) are calculated. :eh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Oh, and the taigen 4:1 boxes I mention are the low profile ones, which have a final gear ratio of 45.58 to 1, these aren't on that gear calculator.

Mick.
Thanks Mick
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I'm still scratching my head over the final drive ration, so I'll just use the old standby.

I put a set of the Waterson 5 to 1 gearboxes in a buddies HL Panther. It had all the metal parts on it he could get his hands on. The change in performance was really amazing. It would now climb a vertical concrete surface that was almost as tall as the barrel. They also had the added advantage of giving a more realistic scale speed.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
aikmanmosquito
Recruit

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Thank you for the replies, very helpful. Will look into everything suggested, just trying to make the Heng Long Sherman a little more realistic.
jukebox
Lance Corporal

Post by jukebox »

Hi,

You might find the attached files interesting, downloaded from the Bay Area Tankers website, gives some good data if you are after more realistic speeds etc. They base the speed on a timed 25 foot straight run, with the tank up to speed when it crosses the start line and not slowing down until it crosses the finish line. Also attached is a set of their battle rules, they really went to town with them, very comprehensive!
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension xlsx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Steve

Return to “General Questions”