Tamiya Tiger 1 - Track options

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
cathurga
Recruit

Tamiya Tiger 1 - Track options

Post by cathurga »

Hey All,

I was trying to get some original Tamiya tracks (metal), but they are discontinued and quite rare. Can I use Taigen ones? I have tried most of the recommended vendors here, and even Impact are not available anywhere (or are simply out of stock).
I have upgraded the tank with Henn idler setup and a DT chassis brace and Schumo reductions, I'm hoping this setup will handle metal tracks. I take the tank out once in a while, so its not a battle tank or overused.

Appreciate any help.
Regards,
Andy
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tamiya Tiger 1 - Track options

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

If you are not going to use and abuse your tank, Id keep the stock plastic tracks.

Metal tracks for a tiger are quite heavy, and the hull is not very rigid, but the DT brace and the henntek idler are indeed very good upgrades.

If you really want the metal track, there was another guy called kenny kong or something like that, maybe he has what you need...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

'Manheader' on ebay sells Kenny Kong metal tracks for the Tiger I. He has a set of narrow transport tracks (see Carl's excellent build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23787) for $116 plus $32 shipping, and a set of late-war tracks for $132 plus $37 shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-METAL- ... 2WzKv4AlnQ
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Failing that mitosal do impact tracks:)
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I thought I read somewhere that the "Tamiya" metal tracks are actually Impact tracks made by Mitosal. If that's true they're probably cheaper through Mitosal than anywhere else.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Go to----
www.mitosal.com
It is a very useful site for tracks and much more.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
cathurga
Recruit

Post by cathurga »

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the responses.
The Mitosal ones are out of stock, as are welsh dragon. I see the WD ones are listed as fitting the Taigen and Tamiya tanks. They have the late ones, but I thought I would see if there are any of the early ones around. Their pricing is a lot more attractive though!
The ones on ebay have only late style too, but I am not sure what the differences are....may have to get those if all else fails. He also has the narrow, transport tracks.

If it is so that the Taigen ones will fit, or even the HL ones, then I would get those, but I don't know whether they will fit.

On the question of upgrades, is there anything else I should do before fitting metal tracks? I know the chassis is a bit flexi, but with the motor brace it should help right? I have seen somewhere you can fit 'guides' with bearings for the front sprockets, but it looks to be a chore to get them to fit....
forgebear

Post by forgebear »

would this help we have late ones as well

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p6 ... racks.html
cathurga
Recruit

Post by cathurga »

Perfect, thanks!

I looked at your site and did a search and came up empty handed, but I suppose I could have been inaccurate in what I was looking for. Assuming they are 'closed pin' and that means I cannot remove links? Or at least not without some hassle?

Also, the lower hatches you are selling, has anyone tried fitting them to a Tamiya tank? I would like one for the switch I have installed under one, instead of in the turret.

Thank you.

Regards, Andy
forgebear

Post by forgebear »

hi andy yep closed pin is ok you can tap them out to take or add links
as for the front hatches yep you can fit to the tamiya
dav e :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”