360 rotation

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

360 rotation

Post by RobW »

I'm fitting a Taigen 360 rotation system to a T34. One of the problems I noticed before is that the slip ring is fixed at the turret end, but there's nothing stopping the cables twisting around in the hull. Other than needing to leave enough slack, is there a good reason not to fasten the lower part of the cable to an anchor in the upper hull? I'm thinking a bar/box section plasticard going roughly under the turret hole.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: 360 rotation

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

RobW wrote:I'm fitting a Taigen 360 rotation system to a T34. One of the problems I noticed before is that the slip ring is fixed at the turret end, but there's nothing stopping the cables twisting around in the hull. Other than needing to leave enough slack, is there a good reason not to fasten the lower part of the cable to an anchor in the upper hull? I'm thinking a bar/box section plasticard going roughly under the turret hole.
The slip ring needs to be fixed in the centre to avoid the twisting, and tugging. I think I'm right in saying that the 360 kits all have the slip ring positioned off centre. A plasticard flat piece across the centre of the turret ring, with provision to retain the slip ring, ought to improve the situation.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”