Can a HL upper hull be attached to a Taigen chassis?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tiger111
Private

Can a HL upper hull be attached to a Taigen chassis?

Post by Tiger111 »

Good day all the guests and fellow members here at the forum! :wave:
I wish I could just post about this question without thinking or telling why I'm asking it- but it's got a REAL HECK OF A STORY behind it. :| Ohhhh what a day..... anyways. As I was saying, it was just a few days ago that I decided to put time aside from my busy day to fully test my HL Tiger I which now has new Taigen metal drive and idler wheels installed on it. I have to say I was pretty proud of myself for installing the wheels with no instructions, however that had it's price. I was running it and I noticed it made an awful clicking sound when it moved in any direction, so I propped it up so the tracks could turn freely without any ground to grab them. I then saw the sound seemed to come from the right idler wheel in the rear with made a click noise every time one track "tooth"(is what what it is called) grabbed the idler, and after observing this I hadn't had a clue why the sound was being made, because the other idler seemed to run fine without clicks. It was then after close examination I noticed in my typical self I had forgotten to put a washer between the idler and the chassis - which made the idler move on the axle freely. I figured I could just pull the pin out and place a washer between the two and the problem would be fixed. Boy was I wrong! Instead of the pin pulling out of the axle, it was stuck in place due to it being forced in the chassis axle and stripped the original threading. I ended up trying to pry the pin out, but then DISASTER STRUCK- I pulled too hard and A PART OF THE AXLE CAME OFF! :{ Not only that, but part of the chassis was cracked! O_O Well long story short I attempted to temporarily fix the axle with super glue however it makes this horrible squeaking sound now when it moves. Also I'm pretty sure I broke some of the suspension in the rear. :( I plan now to purchase a part to permanently fix the axle, which is the Taigen Chassis with easy open latch. My question is could I be able to fit my existing screw on upper hull for the HL Tiger or do I have to buy a Taigen upper hull to make it work with the latch. Any feedback is appreciated and I hope you all have a fantastic day!

I know the story was PROBABLY not necessary and I highly doubt any of you read the whole thing! Sorry.
Them: WHY do you like tanks so much?
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
Them: O_O
Tiger111
Private

Re: Can a HL upper hull be attached to a Taigen chassis?

Post by Tiger111 »

Well; It's official - my questions have taken over the General Questions Category! :shifty:
Is that a GOOD THING OR A BAD THING? (Yet another question) ha ha just kidding. :haha:
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Tiger111 wrote:My question is could I be able to fit my existing screw on upper hull for the HL Tiger or do I have to buy a Taigen upper hull to make it work with the latch.
You sure can, the Taigen chassis will be a straight fit to your Heng Long. Taigen tanks are basically Heng Longs that have been upgraded; there's a complicated relationship between the various manufacturers but they're all basically selling the same product.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Yes a Heng Long Tiger 1 ABS body can be attached to a Taigen Hull, :thumbup:
But your remark that some of us will not have read all of your tale of woe is in my case true,
I read the heading and the first few words of text and reached for the keys to the drinks cabinet. :haha:
You have I fear in your efforts to save money done the opposite, :thumbdown:
In common with many others I buy a Heng Long ABS Body because even though Raminator correctly says that Torro/Taigen/ and Heng Long use the same Tiger 1 Body pressing, Heng Long have kept their body upto date by no longer using a Mold that includes the tools and fixtures molded onto the body, instead they make them removable and as the body is the same price or cheaper most of us buy the Heng Long Body and here is where you are spending money that you didn't need to, :shh:
Most of us buy the ABS Body because it is easy to work on and if a mistake is made it is easy to fix BUT the down side of the ABS Body is "FLEX" which is why most of us buy a Taigen Metal Hull which includes the prebuilt Metal Torsion Bar Suspension, the Metal wheels and idlers and Sprockets and Metal Tracks plus a plastic floor over the suspension and a fully fitted rear panel,
The Axles on the Taigen hull are different to the Axles on the Heng Long Hull, :thumbdown:
Depending on where you buy the metal hull you will also get a pair of Taigen 3/1 or 4/1 Metal Gearboxes.
AND the Taigen Metal Hull includes as standard a quick release system with a little plastic bag of bits so that you can adapt your Heng Long ABS Body to become quick release without cutting or sawing just a simple fit using a screwdriver.
I fear the problem with your Plastic Hull was exacerbated by fitting Metal Wheels, :crazy:
The problem with fitting Metal Wheels is it becomes the start of the law of diminishing returns,
Metal Wheels means Metal Idlers means Metal Sprockets means Metal Tracks means Metal Gearboxes means Metal Hull.
MEANS insolvency. :lolno:
You have already had rewarding dealings with Dave (http://www.forgebeartanks.com) if you go to his site you can see what he is offering in the way of Taigen Metal Hulls and the price.
You might also usefully go to http://www.rctank.de in your search for a Taigen Tiger1 metal Hull and no search would be complete for an American Forum Member if they failed to go to www.taigentanks.com they have a Taigen Metal Hull for sale at $79.99.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger111
Private

Post by Tiger111 »

jarndice wrote:Hi, Yes a Heng Long Tiger 1 ABS body can be attached to a Taigen Hull, :thumbup:
But your remark that some of us will not have read all of your tale of woe is in my case true,
I read the heading and the first few words of text and reached for the keys to the drinks cabinet. :haha:
You have I fear in your efforts to save money done the opposite, :thumbdown:
In common with many others I buy a Heng Long ABS Body because even though Raminator correctly says that Torro/Taigen/ and Heng Long use the same Tiger 1 Body pressing, Heng Long have kept their body upto date by no longer using a Mold that includes the tools and fixtures molded onto the body, instead they make them removable and as the body is the same price or cheaper most of us buy the Heng Long Body and here is where you are spending money that you didn't need to, :shh:
Most of us buy the ABS Body because it is easy to work on and if a mistake is made it is easy to fix BUT the down side of the ABS Body is "FLEX" which is why most of us buy a Taigen Metal Hull which includes the prebuilt Metal Torsion Bar Suspension, the Metal wheels and idlers and Sprockets and Metal Tracks plus a plastic floor over the suspension and a fully fitted rear panel,
The Axles on the Taigen hull are different to the Axles on the Heng Long Hull, :thumbdown:
Depending on where you buy the metal hull you will also get a pair of Taigen 3/1 or 4/1 Metal Gearboxes.
AND the Taigen Metal Hull includes as standard a quick release system with a little plastic bag of bits so that you can adapt your Heng Long ABS Body to become quick release without cutting or sawing just a simple fit using a screwdriver.
I fear the problem with your Plastic Hull was exacerbated by fitting Metal Wheels, :crazy:
The problem with fitting Metal Wheels is it becomes the start of the law of diminishing returns,
Metal Wheels means Metal Idlers means Metal Sprockets means Metal Tracks means Metal Gearboxes means Metal Hull.
MEANS insolvency. :lolno:
You have already had rewarding dealings with Dave (http://www.forgebeartanks.com) if you go to his site you can see what he is offering in the way of Taigen Metal Hulls and the price.
You might also usefully go to http://www.rctank.de in your search for a Taigen Tiger1 metal Hull and no search would be complete for an American Forum Member if they failed to go to http://www.taigentanks.com they have a Taigen Metal Hull for sale at $79.99.
Shaun.
Thank you! Do you or anyone else happen to know if the back plate for the lower hull (with the exhaust and air cleaners) is plastic too?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, The good point is yes the back plate on a Taigen/Heng Long Tiger 1 is Plastic, And they are interchangeable with either makers particular model of Tiger 1 and they are on sale separately from the Hull.
The bad point is yes the back plate on a Taigen/Heng Long Tiger is Plastic,
I have managed to break the locating tabs of FOUR plastic Tiger 1 Backplates,
Finally I went searching for a Metal alternative, one of the company's that advertises on the pages of your Forum "LUDWIG'S" makes a metal backplate but you have to provide and fit all the ancillaries, The quality is exceptional.
A company called "MATO" also make a metal Tiger 1 backplate and it comes complete with all metal fittings,(Exhaust/ Toolbox/ Air Cleaners. These metal fittings can be removed and replaced with the plastic exhaust/Toolbox/Air Cleaners using the same mounting points and screws from your plastic backplate,
The downside is that it is made for "MATO'S" own Tiger1 and is not a straight fit,
In despair I bought one from your friend and mine Dave (www.forgebeartanks.com),
Dave warned me in advance that it probably would not fit,
Trust me when your desperate it will fit,
Actually it wasn't that difficult, and now I do not have to worry about the Plastic backplate locating tabs breaking off..
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”