Heng Long radio control unit

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
bitols
Recruit

Heng Long radio control unit

Post by bitols »

As I said elsewhere, I'm looking for a used/cheap heng long tank, just to see if I like the hobby but without spend too much money.
I saw a lot of tank on some local advertising sites, but I have a dubt. All the tank seems similiar, but some have the following radio control unit

and some others the black one :

what is the difference ? the first are "old" version without the 2,4 GHZ ? And what is the difference of versions with and without the 2,4 GHZ ?
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Heng Long radio control unit

Post by jarndice »

Hi, I would avoid the early 27MHz Tank/Transmitter combination,
This uses Crystals and has a very limited range it also can be picked up by a stronger Transmitter or one that is nearer to you so that you lose control of the Tank.
Also the Control board of many early Tanks had everything soldered in place whereas the later Control boards use a much better "Plug and Socket" system,
The later 2.4 Digital Control Board means that your tanks frequency is unique to your Tank and cannot be accidently taken over by a stronger Transmitter and you also have the capacity for an extended range.
You will not get a fair feeling of what a current 2,4 GHz Tank/Transmitter combination offers if you buy an early model.
I have no knowledge of the Italian second hand/used 1/16 r/c tank market so I shall leave that to your judgement,
But I would go for a Tank that is popular such as a Tiger 1 from Heng Long or Taigen and you want one that has the most up to date control board you can find,
If you buy a less popular Tank it might be cheaper but it will probably not be as up to date as the faster selling Tiger 1 which has the added advantage of being roomier inside so that any inexpert fumbling's are less likely to break anything, and if you do like our hobby there are more upgrades for the Tiger 1 than for any other Tank in 1/16 r/c.
You need to know that the Heng Long Control Board (RX18) has been updated many times over the years and so has the Transmitter which means you need to buy them as a working pair, if you don't your Tank might work but you could lose some of the updates in the newer Control Board.
Good luck and a belated welcome to the Forum, :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
bitols
Recruit

Post by bitols »

thank for the useful suggestion. I know that we are all different and it's not easy to give an idea, but in your opinion, would you go for a second hand (but "it seems" in good condition with original box and so on) "early version" for around 50 eur, when I can buy a 2,4 GHZ new tank, same brand/model for little less than 100 eur (china market) ?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Without a second thought BUY the new 100 Euro Tank, :thumbup:
At that price it probably wont be the very latest and it might not have a "Smoker" or "Sound" (Both of which are easy to replace) but it is certainly a better bet if only because if anything is wrong with it you have some redress,
Please keep us up to date with your progress with the Tank.
Shaun.
bitols
Recruit

Post by bitols »

well...it seems it comes with all the feature:

Brand: Heng Long
Item: 1/16 Germany Tiger I Tank
Item NO.: 3818-1
Start-up / Extinguish Set
Full Scale R/C Function
Realistic Smoking Function
Simulative motor start-up sound, Engine Sound, Machine-Gun Sound, Cannonball Sound
Emulational Action Effect
The sound can be Adjusted

for around 100 eur shipped to home...the only problem would be the delivery time: 7-15 business days
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Patience is a virtue and it "sounds" like it will be worth waiting for, :thumbup:
It being a Tiger 1 you can spend the time while you are waiting looking at all the upgrades you can buy for it :haha: :haha:
Trust me I have been waiting Months for THE Heng Long Truck and this morning the Postman handed me a big brown Box,
IT has finally arrived. :clap: :clap:
Shaun.

Return to “General Questions”