PZ4 Track tensioners.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

PZ4 Track tensioners.

Post by jarndice »

The new Taigen metal Panzer 4 Hull does not appear to have any way of adjusting the tracks,
Has anyone fitted track tensioners to the new Taigen Panzer 4 Metal Hull ?
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: PZ4 Track tensioners.

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Arnie should know, Shaun, as he was an early recipient of Taigen's revised metal version. I'd guess that adjustment is made pretty much in the way it is on the Tamiya and Asiatam versions. The arm of the idler's tensioner has a few raised ridges/teeth at intervals (15 deg or so, I'd guess) that engage with slots/grooves cut in the retaining hub. It's a sort of (variable) locking key in a shaft arrangement. They're secured, in turn, by locknuts, or nyloc nuts, on the inboard side of the retaining hub. It's fairly basic, and doesn't allow for fine tuning; but it's better than nothing. I think :eh:
Spares are offered by rctank.de :
Pz IV metal tensioners for Heng Long and Taigen
Pz IV metal tensioners for Heng Long and Taigen
panzer-iv-metal-track-tensioners.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
https://www.rctank.de/PANZER-IV-METAL-TRACK-TENSIONERS
An interesting alternative product here:
Pz IV alloy tensioner fro Heng long
Pz IV alloy tensioner fro Heng long
Pz IV track tensioners.jpg (26.14 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
available from:
https://tank-modellbau.de/eng_244/Panze ... _tensioner

I guess an internal bespoke system is not really practical, as the Pz IV's actual arrangement is mounted on the exterior of the vehicle. Thus, I guess the point is, the 'authenticity' factor would likely affect any revolutionary redesign plan. . :think: :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Roy I have already done the mod on all my existing PZ4s to great effect, :thumbup:
But I was looking at the available pictures and the literature and it looks like you would have to cut off a section of the retaining stub to fit an aftermarket Tensioner which if it is true makes yet another PZ4 Metal Hull u/s unless you care to start sawing lumps off it, :thumbdown:
So shall I buy Taigens PZ4 metal hull and be the proud possessor of two next to useless PZ4 Metal hulls or just cut my losses and live with the Asiatam disaster I have already ? :{
Shaun.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

If you want a Pz IV metal hull, I would go for Asiatams.
The new one from Taigen is more or less impossible to mod. Its a one piece full cast, so its a pain to get Track ajustment fitted and next to impossible to install drive shaft supports.

Asiatam is a lot easier to work with!
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Btw, the Track tensioners that Rctank.de has in stock are the Asiatam ones and NOT the ones pictured!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Thank you for the heads up Arnie,
I already have an Asiatam PZ4 metal hull which I fitted an Asiatam Track Tensioner to, :thumbup:
But I really am not impressed with the overall quality of the Hull,
The extra work it needs to be serviceable is more than a customer should have to do.
And that is why I was looking at the Taigen PZ4 Metal Hull,
And don't talk to me about fitting Axle output shaft bearings, The covers provided by Asiatam for their own Metal Hull are too shallow and have to be hollowed out before they are able to do the job they are built to do.
I had to buy a 25mm Router to fix that particular pain in the backside. :thumbdown:
Shaun.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Asiatam may be a pain to work with, but at least it allows you to do so. The new Taigen hull just dosnt do that unfortunately.

When the new Taigen hull came out, I had hoped to upgrade my other PzIV's with it, but after getting one in hand, I have actually decided to order two more hulls from Asiatam instead.

The new hull is an exact copy of the plastic hull, except the return roller holders and transmission covers are now casted with the hull and there is no room for adjustment of the suspension, because they are held in place with C clips on the inside of the hull.

You need to grind this down and install another cover, if you want axle supports

Depending on what tracks you want on, they will either be really loose or really tight!
The standard Winter tracks that came with it sits really well, but the normal tracks from Taigen dont. Have only tried the old type of tracks(the silver ones) and not the new black tracks that came out same time as the new metal hull. They may sit better, but I have some doubts.
I tried with Mato Late tracks, and they actually fit okay, although, still a bit too loose for my liking.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Arnie that's is very helpful,
If you have ever fitted engine hatches on a PZ4 you will know that you have to cut off the hull locating struts,
I notice that the Taigen PZ4 Metal Hull has a quick release just like the Taigen Tiger 1 Metal Hull,
So how would that work with a PZ4 Body with a stripped out back?
I don't like quick releases they are easy to jam and take up too much space,
And in the case of the Asiatam PZ4 Metal Hull the quick release is a mystery as to how that works so I just junked it,
I have removed the quick release on my Tiger 1s and I use Countersunk Neo-Dymion magnets screwed onto the stripped out quick release crossbar and Countersunk Neo-Dymion Magnets screwed into the struts in the body that lock onto the magnets,
I use a similar arrangement for my Asiatam PZ4.
Shaun.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jarndice wrote: And in the case of the Asiatam PZ4 Metal Hull the quick release is a mystery as to how that works so I just junked it,
Shaun.
No mystery there, the asiatam quick release does not work and never will, lol.

You all know Im very critic with Tamiya, but in this case Id buy the tamiya panzer IV and Id forget about all those headaches.

I have an asiatam Panzer IV with tamiya suspension, mato tracks, heng long upper hull, handmade schurzen and powered with a glorious ASP2. Its really some kind of Frankestank... But if I could go back in time I think id buy the tamiya and id fit the ASP on it.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

All of my PzIv's have opening hatches, except for the new one. I kept the quick release in this one. But yes. It would have to go, if you want the opening hatches in the back.

I have since re-arranged the electronics, so I wont have the switches in the bottom (Why do they keep putting them there???) and moved them up, so I can access them trough the driver and MG hatch

Return to “General Questions”