Tightening, Loosening/removing idler wheels?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tiger111
Private

Tightening, Loosening/removing idler wheels?

Post by Tiger111 »

Dear fellow members of the forum,

This is a real quick post asking about my Heng Long German Tiger I and it's idler wheels. I wish to fix an ongoing problem with my tank that has been bothersome for quite a while. Whenever I start up my tank, it runs fine except when I make sharp turns on uneven or more difficult terrain (grass for instance) and it throws out the left tracks EVERY TIME. I then have to constantly unscrew the drive wheel and position the tracks back into place. After close examination, I learned that the left idler wheel is extremely loose, which I can only assume is what causes the track malfunction. I'm trying to tighten the idler wheels in order to keep more tension on the tracks, however when I've looked it up they say I have to separate the two glued peices of the idler wheel, which I wouldn't want to do if I can be able to attach the idler back on afterwards. I hope this information is helpful an any feedback is appreciated! In a nutshell, I want to know how to tighten my idler wheels on my HL tiger I
Them: WHY do you like tanks so much?
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
Them: O_O
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: Tightening, Loosening/removing idler wheels?

Post by capt midnight »

You should be able to use a phillips (cross point) screwdriver to tighten it. You'll have to find a small shank driver and maybe use some pliers to get it tightened. Or you could enlarge the hole in the center or the ideler. Lots easier than splitting the wheel.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
Tiger111
Private

Re: Tightening, Loosening/removing idler wheels?

Post by Tiger111 »

Thank you!
Them: WHY do you like tanks so much?
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
Them: O_O

Return to “General Questions”