• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

Where to buy 2A6

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby Mark66 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Being new to tanks where would be considered a good place to purchase one from, not sure if I want to go FO or go for one I can upgrade at my leisure, though I understand even the FO is upgradable,

What is upgradable on the full option? and what would/ could you live with.

Ok just read drive it till it breaks, then upgrade.


Cheers Mark.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark66
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am

Postby silversurfer1947 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:29 pm

What country are you based in?
User avatar
silversurfer1947
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Mark66 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:30 pm

I'm in the UK.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark66
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am

Postby silversurfer1947 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:46 pm

If you are talking about a Tamiya FO tank, Axels Modellbau normally has competitive prices, though his stock levels can be a but variable.
User avatar
silversurfer1947
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Ad Lav » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 pm

eBay for a used bargain.

New from axels for a new build.

Swing arms are what I would upgrade from new.
User avatar
Ad Lav
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Kent

Postby Mark66 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for that I'll check out the web site, yes the swing arms are they a bit delicate in the leopard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark66
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am

Postby Ad Lav » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:42 pm

I havn't changed mine but some have had issues with them snapping. Possibly due to rough driving?
User avatar
Ad Lav
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Kent

Postby HammerWihoutASickle » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:20 am

Mark66 wrote:Being new to tanks where would be considered a good place to purchase one from, not sure if I want to go FO or go for one I can upgrade at my leisure, though I understand even the FO is upgradable,

What is upgradable on the full option? and what would/ could you live with.

Ok just read drive it till it breaks, then upgrade.


Cheers Mark.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything with "metal" will have a rubbish zinc gearbox. Go full plastic and slowly upgrade. Better utility that way, and you'll have a better understanding on what you want later and how things in the tank work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
User avatar
HammerWihoutASickle
Private
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: Romeoville, Illinois - USA

Postby Mark66 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:43 am

The zinc gearboxes are they identified by colour are the black gearboxes any better or are they zinc just painted black, are we looking for a specific make ?

Mark66
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am

Postby Ad Lav » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 am

The tamiya leopard is light years ahead of a Heng Long leopard. No need to upgrade the gearboxes.

I have one and it's a superb runner.
User avatar
Ad Lav
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Kent

Postby tomhugill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:56 am

The suspension arms tend to fail if the bolts holding them on have been over tightened. You should get plenty of life out of them if this isn't done. However the metal ones aren't overally expensive so if you can afford it doesn't hurt to add them from new.

My first port of call for an upgrade if budget is limited would be an idler adjuster upgrade. I found the stock one had limited adjustment and didnt really give satisfactory tension. The afv-modell one (slash the impact clone) is ok but doesn't add anything to the stiffness of the front of the tank. It's also a pain to adjust. I would go for the henntec one of building another leopard as it's infinitely adjustable, I think it can be done from outside the tank and it also gives some extra stiffness to the front end.

tomhugill
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Postby Mark66 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks all for the input still a lot to learn, so the stock gearbox from the tamiya is acceptable.

Suspension arms thanks Tom, so basically looking at running gear upgrades, TBH I am not overly enthusiastic regarding speed with driving the tank I take a more leisurely approach, although quick and nimble for IR battles so I see the need for a robust track system.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark66
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am

Postby HammerWihoutASickle » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Mark66 wrote:The zinc gearboxes are they identified by colour are the black gearboxes any better or are they zinc just painted black, are we looking for a specific make ?


The Taigen metal gearboxes are way better than the silver, zinc gearboxes you get with a metal edition tank you can get. The black metal gearboxes are a lot better than these. Just be aware of where you run the tank.
User avatar
HammerWihoutASickle
Private
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: Romeoville, Illinois - USA

Postby HammerWihoutASickle » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Ad Lav wrote:The tamiya leopard is light years ahead of a Heng Long leopard. No need to upgrade the gearboxes.

I have one and it's a superb runner.


Yes, light years ahead in price. Plastic Leo 2A6 from HL on Amazon goes for $150, while the Tamiya full metal Leo 2A6 goes for $1200.
Buy a HL and slowly upgrade to a Tamiya comparable platform. You'll learn a ton of things along the way.
User avatar
HammerWihoutASickle
Private
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: Romeoville, Illinois - USA

Postby Ad Lav » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Pay your money, makes your choice.

Not everyone will want to spend big bucks on a tamiya, worth it though when you see them run side by side.
User avatar
Ad Lav
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Kent

Postby tomhugill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:04 pm

HammerWihoutASickle wrote:
Ad Lav wrote:The tamiya leopard is light years ahead of a Heng Long leopard. No need to upgrade the gearboxes.

I have one and it's a superb runner.


Yes, light years ahead in price. Plastic Leo 2A6 from HL on Amazon goes for $150, while the Tamiya full metal Leo 2A6 goes for $1200.
Buy a HL and slowly upgrade to a Tamiya comparable platform. You'll learn a ton of things along the way.


I've had 4. Never played more than £300

tomhugill
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Postby HammerWihoutASickle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 am

tomhugill wrote:
HammerWihoutASickle wrote:
Ad Lav wrote:The tamiya leopard is light years ahead of a Heng Long leopard. No need to upgrade the gearboxes.

I have one and it's a superb runner.


Yes, light years ahead in price. Plastic Leo 2A6 from HL on Amazon goes for $150, while the Tamiya full metal Leo 2A6 goes for $1200.
Buy a HL and slowly upgrade to a Tamiya comparable platform. You'll learn a ton of things along the way.


I've had 4. Never played more than £300


Either you're extremely lucky, or outright lying. There's no way you paid the price you did for Tamiya kits. The website literally has prices upwards of $500, and the newest Type 10 being $2000 without shipping.
Where'd you get them from?
User avatar
HammerWihoutASickle
Private
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: Romeoville, Illinois - USA

Postby Jake79 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:01 am

Tom probably bought all 3 used either from ebay or from friends already built. There was one on ebay, a built one a few weeks ago for £299 I nearly bought it as the guy lived near me and I bet I could of got it for £250 with all radio gear! as he was having trouble selling it. As for kits yep a new Leo I doubt your find under £600.
Last edited by Jake79 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:10 pm
Location: Essex,Colchester, UK

Postby Mark66 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:02 am

While scouring the internet I came across HAYA UK they are selling the 2A6 which looks like the pro or ultimate version which sell for around £250.00 for £800 to £850. :think: :eh:

I see they come with a upgraded TX (digital screen) metal tracks with rubber inserts a 550 motor + upgraded turret motor ? proportional smoker and this dual gyro system.

Am I missing a few very important points about these Leopards they have for sale, is there really £650 quids worth of extra's over and above the pro or ultimate versions.


Edit*** Just found a plastic version for £700.00 but with the above features + IR & Laser target aiming, got it, are these are personal upgraded versions by HAYA, ?
Last edited by Mark66 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark66
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am

Postby HammerWihoutASickle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 am

Mark66 wrote:While scouring the internet I came across HAYA UK they are selling the 2A6 which looks like the pro or ultimate version which sell for around £250.00 for £800 to £850. :think: :eh:

I see they come with a upgraded TX (digital screen) metal tracks with rubber inserts a 550 motor + upgraded turret motor ? proportional smoker and this dual gyro system.

Am I missing a few very important points about these Leopards they have for sale, is there really £650 quids worth of extra's over and above the pro or ultimate versions.
I believe so. The gun stabilizer, rubber inserts, suspension arms, tracks, upgraded board, and other metal parts are pretty expensive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
User avatar
HammerWihoutASickle
Private
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: Romeoville, Illinois - USA

Next

Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests