When to upgrade to metal parts

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

When to upgrade to metal parts

Post by HammerWihoutASickle »

Hello all.
I was thinking of making some upgrades to a HL Leopard 2A6. I just wanted to know when would be a good time to change its plastic parts to metal. And, I mean parts like the idler and sprocket wheels, tracks, and road wheels. The tank itself is plastic, but I will be installing metal gearboxes with 390 motors soon.
I see some decent parts on the Taigen website, but if you have any suggestions for alternatives from different manufacturers and sellers, I'm open to them.

Thanks in advance.
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6
Heng Long Challenger 2 (credit to rctankmodified)

I ask too many questions.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: When to upgrade to metal parts

Post by dgsselkirk »

We in our club have a rule... drive it till it breaks... then upgrade! :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

dgsselkirk wrote:We in our club have a rule... drive it till it breaks... then upgrade! :D
A good rule to have. Simple.
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I agree. When I first entered the hobby is buy everything I could find metal for my first Panzer III and Tiger I. Now unless it's a scratch build or unique piece I keep it with the basics until needed. Electronics in the other hand are a totally different story.....

Though the stock t-90 has the newest version from Heng Long. Very nice

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

In addition to that good advice, Taigen metal lower hulls are handy for the quick release mechanism and no battery box and/or if the original lower hull shows signs of deforming or cracking under the strain.

Having said that, I don't know if there is one for the Leo.
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

Estnische wrote:In addition to that good advice, Taigen metal lower hulls are handy for the quick release mechanism and no battery box and/or if the original lower hull shows signs of deforming or cracking under the strain.

Having said that, I don't know if there is one for the Leo.

There is one for the Leo! However, it is completely made out of metal and I reckon it weighs a ton, so the drawback is that you're going to need really beefy motors to keep the power-weight ratio high enough for the model to drive scale!
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

c.rainford73 wrote:I agree. When I first entered the hobby is buy everything I could find metal for my first Panzer III and Tiger I. Now unless it's a scratch build or unique piece I keep it with the basics until needed. Electronics in the other hand are a totally different story.....

Though the stock t-90 has the newest version from Heng Long. Very niceImage

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
The T-90 is alright. I hated the zinc gearbox and some of the parts that came with it. The airsoft gun is also a pain to deal with.
I actually like the older Leopard 2A6 better than this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I agree with the "drive it till it breaks" philosophy, but when it cones to metal there are some things that should be replaced as a group. If you add metal tracks you should go metal for sprocket and idler at the same time. I've always said that the first metal upgrade for any plastic tank should be steel gearboxes.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

My take on your question is this - I buy mostly metal tanks and add the odd metal upgrade and new electrics. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Max-U52 wrote:I agree with the "drive it till it breaks" philosophy, but when it cones to metal there are some things that should be replaced as a group. If you add metal tracks you should go metal for sprocket and idler at the same time. I've always said that the first metal upgrade for any plastic tank should be steel gearboxes.
Yup, definitely. You can run plastic tracks on a metal drivetrain, but metal tracks on a plastic drivetrain won't last long!

Return to “General Questions”