How to install shaft support "disk"

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

How to install shaft support "disk"

Post by Blackadder123 »

Hello everyone,

I noticed that my Pershing was slightly swerving from side to side due to the sprocket having horizontal movement and decided I wanted to install a shaft support disk as seen on this website:

https://www.rctank.de/M26-Pershing-axes ... ll-bearing

Now it seems easy in theory, but I can see some problems that may arise. The screws would have to go through 2 drilled holes and be held by the nut. The gearbox is, however, seemingly in the way on the other end ( How does one circumvent this problem?

Another question: Is the support disk small enough such that it fits in the "casing" of the shaft? Or does one have to forgo aesthetics and just chuck that away. Anyhow, I think it is glued onto the hull with super glue and I'd need it removed to install the shaft support. Any suggestions on how to undo the glue?

Thanks for any tips
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: How to install shaft support "disk"

Post by jackalope »

On my Tiger, King Tiger and Jagdtiger they fit into the transmission cover part inside of the drive sprocket. I had the same issue with the nut and bolt what I did was use only the nut on the upper bolt while the lower one I put a dot of Crazy glue on the end of the screw and then threaded it into the hull. Never had a problem with them coming loose.
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

Oh wow, the super glue method is really ingenious! I'll definitely do that. Did you cut the bolt shorter though? It'd stick out otherwise.

Still leaves us with the problem of that cover being super glued onto the hull, lol. I fear if I pry it open it'll be no good after.
bfrank1982
Private

Post by bfrank1982 »

Blackadder123 wrote:Hello everyone,

I noticed that my Pershing was slightly swerving from side to side due to the sprocket having horizontal movement and decided I wanted to install a shaft support disk as seen on this website:

Now it seems easy in theory, but I can see some problems that may arise. The screws would have to go through 2 drilled holes and be held by the nut. The gearbox is, however, seemingly in the way on the other end ( How does one circumvent this problem?

Another question: Is the support disk small enough such that it fits in the "casing" of the shaft? Or does one have to forgo aesthetics and just chuck that away. Anyhow, I think it is glued onto the hull with super glue and I'd need it removed to install the shaft support. Any suggestions on how to undo the glue?

Thanks for any tips
Before you do anything. Try taking the drive sprocket of the axle. And check it for casting errors or residue from casting.

The standard plastic sprocket in my Sturm Tiger was wobbling. But when changing to metal, the issue more or less disappeared.

Remember: our little plastic tanks might not be precision made as their real life iconsImage

Hope it helps.

Sendt fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 med Tapatalk
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Re: How to install shaft support

Post by Blackadder123 »

bfrank1982 wrote:

Another question: Is the support disk small enough such that it fits in the "casing" of the shaft? Or does one have to forgo aesthetics and just chuck that away. Anyhow, I think it is glued onto the hull with super glue and I'd need it removed to install the shaft support. Any suggestions on how to undo the glue

Thanks for any tips
Before you do anything. Try taking the drive sprocket of the axle. And check it for casting errors or residue from casting.

The standard plastic sprocket in my Sturm Tiger was wobbling. But when changing to metal, the issue more or less disappeared.

Remember: our little plastic tanks might not be precision made as their real life iconsImage

Hope it helps.

My sprocket is metal, so that shouldn't be the root of the problem. I did however see the sprockets wobble when I ran them without tracks, so I think a little bit of re-alignment by the shaft support should definitely help.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Didn't have to on my Tigers the bolt cleared the gearboxes.

If I might ask, which gearboxes you're using? Go with the Taigen hardened steel gearboxes with full bearings that way you put it together once and you're done with it.

Glad the crazy glue idea could help you.
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

I got the Taigen 4:1 steel gearboxes so definitely won't have to change that. What do you mean the bolts cleared the gearboxes? Did your bolts go into the gearboxes?
bfrank1982
Private

Post by bfrank1982 »

Blackadder123 wrote:
bfrank1982 wrote:

Another question: Is the support disk small enough such that it fits in the "casing" of the shaft? Or does one have to forgo aesthetics and just chuck that away. Anyhow, I think it is glued onto the hull with super glue and I'd need it removed to install the shaft support. Any suggestions on how to undo the glue

Thanks for any tips

Hope it helps.

My sprocket is metal, so that shouldn't be the root of the problem. I did however see the sprockets wobble when I ran them without tracks, so I think a little bit of re-alignment by the shaft support should definitely help.
Might it be that your gear boxes are misaligned horizintally ind the hull?

Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

Can't be, since the screws attaching the gearbox to the hull fit perfectly through the holes on the bottom.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have never had a Taigen M26 Pershing But the Panzer 4 Gearbox output shaft cover is held in place with one well hidden SCREW and TWO PINS,
Check the screw head is not disguised with paint,
If it is held in place by Glue -------
Apply liberal amounts of "Debonder" around the edges and work the cover until it becomes free.
DO clean the remaining debonder from the area after you have finished.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”