How to install shaft support "disk"

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: How to install shaft support "disk"

Post by jarndice »

It appears that you do not own a PIN VISE,
It is a hand driven Drill Powered by your finger and thumb they cost about £10 and are one of the most useful tools that you will ever own,
Using the Pin Vise with a small bit to make a pilot hole,
You make those pilot holes by putting the drill bit through the bearing mounting holes in the output shaft bearing,
You then remove the bearing from the shaft and drill a hole the same size as the mounting screw shaft into the hull,
If the gearbox is vertical you have space that you would not have if you left the gearbox in position because the electric motors are no longer in each others way, this allows the vertical gearbox to be moved away from the hull so that you now have enough space to fit a nut on each shaft bearing screw on the inside of the hull,
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

Interesting........Pin vase. Is the pilot hole meant to be just a small indentation at the right spot or should it be a complete "path" cleared for the drill? As for your second tip, while your vertical method certainly allows me to put the nut onto both screws, the gearbox wouldnt fit back in if the nut were in place. If you look at the picture on my first post, you see that the gearbox's resting position is practically directly against the hull, so no space for a nut there.

Seeing as the pin vase is essentially just a hand powered drill, is there even a need to use an electric drill? Any reason why I shouldn't just drill the hole with the pin vase and be done with it?

Thanks for your thorough explanations so far, anyhow!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Pin "VISE" not vase, and the gearbox really should pass the nuts,
The pilot holes should go right through the hull followed by the full size drill bit,
I would almost NEVER use a POWER Drill on a 1/16 Tank only a PIN VISE.
Shaun.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Google "pin vice drill." Buy one! You WILL make good use of it, TRUST ME!
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

jarndice wrote:Pin "VISE" not vase, and the gearbox really should pass the nuts,
The pilot holes should go right through the hull followed by the full size drill bit,
I would almost NEVER use a POWER Drill on a 1/16 Tank only a PIN VISE.
Shaun.

Oh right, I'll definitely use the pin vise. What's the difference between the pilot hole and the full size drill bit?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Because a Pin Vise is controlled by your finger and thumb it has the advantage of being completely controllable,
You place the drill bit on the place you want to drill,
You grip the pin vise as you would a pen/pencil and you twist the pin vise between your thumb and forefinger to start drilling,
You can start and stop instantly and YOU are in control not an electric motor,
The top of the pin vise turns freely which allows you to gently rest the palm of your other hand on it as you twist the pin vise,
Do not push down too hard or you will SNAP the bit,
Because you are using only your fingers and not an electric motor to drive the Pin Vise It means that drilling holes is easier if you start with a small bit to make a small hole and then use the drill bit that will make the actual hole in the size you want,
The difference between the Pilot hole drill bit and the full size drill bit is that you will find it easier to make a small hole which will be exactly where you want it and then follow with the drill bit which in this case will be the same size as the bearing mounting screw,
When you buy the Pin Vise it will usually come with a plastic case holding 20 drill bits,

WARNING They are tiny and they are fragile, you will break some and they blunt quite quickly,

The Pin Vise body is in three parts, if you unscrew the knurled grip (Which tightens the collet around the drill bit)inside is a double headed Collet which will take two different sizes of drill bit and if you unscrew the other end of the Pin Vise you will find another double headed Collet that will take two more different size drill bits. I hope that helps,
The secret of the Pin Vise is that it is SO controllable.
Shaun.
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

Thanks for the tips!

Just ordered this tool and will be experimenting with it very soon!

Return to “General Questions”