Is Tiger 1 track armour always asymetrical?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Is Tiger 1 track armour always asymetrical?

Post by Blackadder123 »

Hello,

Bit of a random question.... adding track armour to my Tiger and was wondering whether they're always asymetrical for the two sides. From all the pictured I've seen, this seems to be the case
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Is Tiger 1 track armour always asymetrical?

Post by jarndice »

It is more involved than that,
If you want to get it right you first need to know what month of what year the Tiger 1 you are building was in service,
There are variations dependant on those details.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Blackadder123
Lance Corporal

Post by Blackadder123 »

jarndice wrote:It is more involved than that,
If you want to get it right you first need to know what month of what year the Tiger 1 you are building was in service,
There are variations dependant on those details.
Shaun.
Ah right. Well my Tiger is an early version and Ive seen loads of pictures on Google Images of those variants donning track armour.... not any more specific than that I suppose
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In April 1943 2 spare track holders were fitted on the left side of the Turret and 3 spare track holders were fitted on the right side of the Turret,
The right side fittings were immediately to the right of the escape hatch and the left side holders were immediately to the left of the Pistol Port.
These are of course while looking forwards.
The maximum number of spare tracks carried on a Tiger 1 Turret is 7.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”