Firefly Barrel

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronhow
Recruit

Firefly Barrel

Post by ronhow »

I'm trying to fit a Mato Metal Firefly BB Barrel to a HL Sherman M4A3 and the barrel is not as tight a fit as I would like. The thread just doesn't bite enough once screwed into the standard plastic mantlet. How would you guys fit it?

Ron.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Firefly Barrel

Post by jackalope »

You can try making a paste of model glue and plastic dust from using sand paper. Mix in the plastic powder with the glue, then use a q-tip or wooden down to apply the paste to the inside of the barrel hole in the mantel. Let dry and then screw the barrel back into the mantel. You may need to use a round file to clean up the plastic/glue paste once it's dry in order to get the barrel to thread in. Careful not to force it and crack the mantel.
Dusty Steppes
Private

Post by Dusty Steppes »

Would teflon pipe thread tape work?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Dusty Steppes wrote:Would teflon pipe thread tape work?
:thumbup: It should.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Dusty Steppes wrote:Would teflon pipe thread tape work?
Never hurts to try.
ronhow
Recruit

Post by ronhow »

Okay folks, some good advice there thanks ... basically no set method, just do our best. There is, I believe, a metal mantlet to take the barrel but I'm guessing there would probably be more fitting issues. I'll try some pipe tape and if that doesn't work I'll put a plug of glue inside. Can't see that I would want to take it out again but if I use that Unibond Power Glue that should suffice do you think?

Return to “General Questions”