Cheap antenna for Panther F

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Cheap antenna for Panther F

Post by dgsselkirk »

FYI I replaced the little silicone on the bottom with a cast one I made, put a small 1mm magnet and a 1mm magnet sunk into the hull in the correct position. When the turret pivots back that far it it simply "bends" the antenna over and it then snaps back because of the magnets. Also makes it easier to work on and transport the tank since you can remove the antenna. On my "F" I put one on the hull and one on the turret roof... :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

I have made some myself, the soft iron/steel rod from a sparkler is fairly easy to taper with a Dremel or wet and dry paper ( I think the heat from the burning anneals it).

However I have bought one with the bendy bottom from Dave but may use the magnet trick above on my existing ones, great idea!

Dava.
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

While we are talking Aerials "ABER" make a Mount for the M26 Pershing (16-054) which is exactly what you need if you want to fit an Aerial on the Left Hind Quarters of the Panzer 4 instead of the usual fitting on the side of the body adjacent to the turret on the right hand side.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

Got my MK one from Dave and managed to tear the silicone base! Ended up using a razor saw to remove plastic base from tank, MK antenna has a steel rod going up the middle so filed below the wing nut and cut off the white metal (?) covering the bottom bit of steel rod, drilled stock plastic base and glued it in.

Drilled tank where base was, added neodymium magnet with milliput to hold in place and covered hole with a disc of plasticard and made some bolt heads to replace those damaged by sawing. Glued another magnet to plastic base on antenna and it fits perfectly; self centering and I can push it all the way down to the hull and it just pops straight back up! May even buy some more and do same on my other tanks.

Hope this is of use, Dava.
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2

Return to “General Questions”