Tiger 1 climbing ability.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Wolverine Tanker
Private

Tiger 1 climbing ability.

Post by Wolverine Tanker »

My Tiger.....
My Tiger.....
100_7364.JPG (234.24 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
I've been trying to find some info on the vertical climbing ability. I was out playing around with my Taigen Tiger 1 tank and I wanted to see what the limitations of my tank vertical wall climbing. I Had a low spot on the lawn that butts up against the concrete drive so I started at 2 inches. Easy, then 4 inches still easy. I then tried 5 inches and it climbed it but teetered and it still made it. I was impressed. I have a metal tank that with all the add ons and accessories weighs a 20 pds. Are there any info around ?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tiger 1 climbing ability.

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Don't know of any obstacle course results for the Tiger 1, but did post a Youtube video of a Cromwell Tank outclimbing a Sherman on RCTW (actual WW2 footage, not models..) :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, here's a pic of a Tiger 1 ausf. E climbing a river bank. (Looks mid-production: no Feifels, etc..). Whether it made it or not, we will never know. I guess it might have..
Tiger 1 after its ablutions in the river...
Tiger 1 after its ablutions in the river...
Tiger 1 ausf E climbing out of a river...jpg (48.18 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
:think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am not so sure that it did make the climb as the driver is standing up in his hatch and so he is unlikely be driving unless he has it in gear with the hand throttle set and he is craning to see where he is going.
So with the Commander and the loader in plain sight perhaps they are waiting for a tow or are about to abandon the Tank :{
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:I am not so sure that it did make the climb as the driver is standing up in his hatch and so he is unlikely be driving unless he has it in gear with the hand throttle set and he is craning to see where he is going.
So with the Commander and the loader in plain sight perhaps they are waiting for a tow or are about to abandon the Tank :{
Shaun.
It's interesting to speculate, Shaun. My first impression was that the driver couldn't see the direction of travel, because of the Tank's angle of climb. Maybe the Tiger's sliding back into the river, and the crew's preparing to evacuate. Perhaps they're jumping up and down (as per motocross hillclimbs) for extra traction :lolno: It's a pity the photo isn't more detailed, then we could see whether the tracks are moving or spinning maybe. A moment of drama nonetheless. :)
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The real ones had a gradient limit of 60%, though I guess that depends on terrain etc.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

They could also be on exercise and have got out to laugh at a colleague 30 yds away who's properly stuck!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Well, here's a pic of a Tiger 1 ausf. E climbing a river bank. (Looks mid-production: no Feifels, etc..). Whether it made it or not, we will never know. I guess it might have..
Tiger 1 ausf E climbing out of a river...jpg
Would say that's an early given the cupola
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tomhugill wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Well, here's a pic of a Tiger 1 ausf. E climbing a river bank. (Looks mid-production: no Feifels, etc..). Whether it made it or not, we will never know. I guess it might have..
Tiger 1 ausf E climbing out of a river...jpg
Would say that's an early given the cupola
Could be, Tom, but maybe it's a transitional model. Hamby lists the changes on a monthly basis, and the mid Turreted model was introduced in Jul 1943, along with Zimmerit, but I've seen 'mid' models with twin headlights, early wheels, and minus zimmerit. :eh: In any event, it looks set for an early bath :D Early minus Feifel's suits me though. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's a vid showing a 1/16 Tiger 1 ('Kurt Knispel's') tackling a 30deg incline... 8O Mind you, it looks more like 45 deg
phpBB [video]
[/video]
Taking on 60degs boggles the mind... :O scary...

Return to “General Questions”