Tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

Tracks

Post by HammerWihoutASickle »

So I found a small pin making its way out of its housing from the steel tracks of my HL T90.

Made me think about what I needed to do to stop something like this from happening.
I run the tank offroad, mostly on grass and soil. I'll be inspecting the tank before and after runs to see if anything loosens up or goes missing,

I was thinking of rescrewing any pins I find loose for now, and the neck ache I get after that is fine with me, but can you guys suggest any preventative maintenance for metal tracks?
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6
Heng Long Challenger 2 (credit to rctankmodified)

I ask too many questions.
Aussie
Corporal

Re: Tracks

Post by Aussie »

Blue Loctite on pins backing out.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

As above or a small dab of super glue is what I use, breaks easy if you have to drive pin out.
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

HammerWihoutASickle wrote:So I found a small pin making its way out of its housing from the steel tracks of my HL T90.
I was thinking of rescrewing any pins I find loose for now,
Most if not all track pins in 1/16 scale are Interference fit, drive pins and not threaded. Once they come loose you will "likely" need something like others have suggested to help retain pin.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

I have some quick action super glue lying around from when I used to make scale aircraft, think that'll do for now?
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

HammerWihoutASickle wrote:I have some quick action super glue lying around from when I used to make scale aircraft, think that'll do for now?
Yes. Be careful as to not add to much or it can have the adverse effect of binding the free play of the tracks. My Panzer 38-t build uses plastic tracks with home made steel pins and I would dip the very end of the pin with CA glue. Have worked excellent for some time now. No lost pins. ( and these pins don't have knurled ends)
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

c.rainford73 wrote:
HammerWihoutASickle wrote:I have some quick action super glue lying around from when I used to make scale aircraft, think that'll do for now?
Yes. Be careful as to not add to much or it can have the adverse effect of binding the free play of the tracks. My Panzer 38-t build uses plastic tracks with home made steel pins and I would dip the very end of the pin with CA glue. Have worked excellent for some time now. No lost pins. ( and these pins don't have knurled ends)
Understood, I'll use that when I see a pin sliding out. Thanks.
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

Anyone here know how to prevent track slippage on the sprocket wheels, by any chance?
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

HammerWihoutASickle wrote:Anyone here know how to prevent track slippage on the sprocket wheels, by any chance?
How slack are the tracks in question? If you don't have a track tensioner system maybe remove a track on each side?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

c.rainford73 wrote:
HammerWihoutASickle wrote:Anyone here know how to prevent track slippage on the sprocket wheels, by any chance?
How slack are the tracks in question? If you don't have a track tensioner system maybe remove a track on each side?
Not much, just the way they came. Though it looks like one is slightly tighter than the other.
The tracks in question are plastic, and they usually slip when I drive on grass and turn hard. The manual is telling me to unscrew the idler wheels and adjust the arm to tighten or loosen the tracks, but the damn screw refuses to budge.

I don't know how to '"remove" tracks per say - so..
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

Return to “General Questions”