elmod fusion pro: going from 4:1 steel gearboxes with 380 to

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jussek
Sergeant

elmod fusion pro: going from 4:1 steel gearboxes with 380 to

Post by Jussek »

hi all

a few days ago i purchased an el-mod fusion pro for my torro full metal kingtiger. After a lot of suffering to configure the KöTi minimum profile on my turnigy 9xr pro (this is my first hobby grade transmitter, so all the concepts were ininteligible to me, or i'm a bit handicapped RC guy)

so, after this struggle, and some tweaking of the elmod software, i ended up testing the new guts of the tank. I like it so much, buuuuut... it is very clear that there is no torque at all. If i set the cat to move very slowly, in no way it is able to overcome the slightest obstacle.

i've read a lot of info on this and another forums, but i'm not still sure if swapping the 4:1 steel gearboxes with 380 engines for another one with 390 motors will solve my problem... ? i brought the tank and the GB in rctank.de some time ago. i've asked Dominique and he says yes, i will see a difference... but my main concern is: enough?

any advice would be welcome!

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
c.rainford73
Major

Re: elmod fusion pro: going from 4:1 steel gearboxes with 38

Post by c.rainford73 »

Jussek wrote:hi all

a few days ago i purchased an el-mod fusion pro for my torro full metal kingtiger. After a lot of suffering to configure the KöTi minimum profile on my turnigy 9xr pro (this is my first hobby grade transmitter, so all the concepts were ininteligible to me, or i'm a bit handicapped RC guy)

so, after this struggle, and some tweaking of the elmod software, i ended up testing the new guts of the tank. I like it so much, buuuuut... it is very clear that there is no torque at all. If i set the cat to move very slowly, in no way it is able to overcome the slightest obstacle.

i've read a lot of info on this and another forums, but i'm not still sure if swapping the 4:1 steel gearboxes with 380 engines for another one with 390 motors will solve my problem... ? i brought the tank and the GB in rctank.de some time ago. i've asked Dominique and he says yes, i will see a difference... but my main concern is: enough?

any advice would be welcome!

best regards
Hi Jussek quick question. Does it have plenty of power at higher speed? Did you change and configure all of the shift points from the basic settings?

I ask you because....

My Elmod runs very realistically and powerfully with 3:1 gearboxes and motors in my Kv-2.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hi!

thats a fast reply ! 8)

i've modified a bit some of the stock values, but i'm not sure if they are the correct ones yet...

i do not know if the change from 380's to 390's can justify the cost of a new gearbox... i've also read a lot here about swap only the motors... if i can find some high torque engines that will fit is my actual gearboxes i could try to change them...

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Those steel 4:1s should have plenty of power in them, changing the motors won't get you much, I think the issue is the with the configuration
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

tomhugill wrote:Those steel 4:1s should have plenty of power in them, changing the motors won't get you much, I think the issue is the with the configuration
I agree with you 100% something must be wrong with the configuration
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Upgrade the battery. If your still using the original green one .
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Captain Hilts wrote:Upgrade the battery. If your still using the original green one .
Yes,
this is the right way!
Use a NiMH Battery with 5000mAH like that: https://www.rctank.de/5000-amp-Battery- ... amiya-plug

This tank was´nt fast!
In real the tank have a maximum forward speed of 38 km/h and 3 km/h backwards...

This full metal king tiger is much heavier and has wider tracks.
Have you weighed the tank?
The normal 3.1 and 4.1 gearboxes come here to the limits.
On soft ground or in the grass it is very difficult to turn this heavy tank.
Push the three middle Road wheels downwards and bend the torsionbars a little bit.
Now the tank will better turn around
and when you accelerate or brake the tank will wobble like a real one.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

There are also settings for turning the tank, quite a few in fact and they do make a difference. You can set the track speeds seperately, so that when it turns the inner track moves backwards slower than the outside one moves forwards for turning on the spot etc, this makes for very realistic slow turns. Changing the speed settings means that instead of a lightning fast super spin, you get a slow struggling turn.

On the tx you will have a throttle curve setting, this also allows you to set how much power goes to the motors at each stage of the stick movement. It's a good way to limit the top speed of the tank, and control the acceleration so that it is reduced. You can also tune this in the configuration.

Remember also that the Elmod has a 3 speed gearbox. Eg When you start off, the driver blips the throttle, clunks it into first gear, revs the engine, and then releases the clutch, the tank then changes gear and lurches with each gear change, and the engine revs change accordingly. It is designed to simulate a 50 ton tank.

The point at which the driver changes gear can be altered, and so can the lurch.

There are so many settings in there that it is worth putting the tank on a block, plugging in the USB, and running it off the tx while you are altering settings. That way you can see what differences you are making to the way it runs without the tank running off the table.

Then just save the settings and job done.

It's definately a configuration thing, I have two Fusion Eco boards, one is in a heavy Panther, and it will run and turn in thick grass as if it wasn't there. Though that is fitted with 3:1 gearboxes.

The battery relevance isn't particularly important. The mah number relates to how long the battery will last between charges, rather than how much power it has. Eg a 1500mah battery will last about 10-15mins, a 5000mah battery will last around an hour, they are both 8.4v fully charged and have a linear power delivery of around 7.4v. The Elmod has a voice that announces 'Low Battery' when it drops to 6v, and will cut the power shortly afterwards.

Skip to the 4:46 mark and you can see all sorts of tanks, with different boards and gearboxes, all running in grass:

phpBB [video]

This guy has his set up pretty well, if you watch the tracks you can see what I mean:

phpBB [video]
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

Hi chaps and many thanks for the replies

This evening when at home i will take a better look to your comments

Btw my tanks use a 5000mha hardcase turnigy lipo so no issues with the power ;)

I talked to Dominique and he says no point in swapping gearboxes as they are identical but there is a noticeable gain in torque and speed with the 390

I will report tonight

Best regards
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

next Sunday we have a meeting in the Panzodrom, i will test the cat there, and then we will see how it performs... :crazy:

now i was playing with the configurator settings, but i do not see how this has anything related to the torque :wtf:

best regards
Jussek

Return to “General Questions”