Diameter of King Tiger/Leopard turret drive ring

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Diameter of King Tiger/Leopard turret drive ring

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi I need to get a 360 drive ring for my IS2 and in order to set up the turret I desperately need to know the diameter of the King Tiger/Leopard drive ring so I can size to fit it.

Many thanks
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Diameter of King Tiger/Leopard turret drive ring

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It's around 105mm from tooth peak to peak, Alwyn on my Torro Pro KT. Hope this helps. Or did you mean the diameter of aperture in the upper hull it sits in?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hmm., just did a little extra online rummaging. The 105mm diameter is for the Henschel turret KT (My Model). This ring also fits the Tiger 1 and several other models. I believe the ring on the KT with Porsche Turret has a different diameter; but I don't have access to that. Sorry.
Taigentanks specify the compatibility of 360 deg turret ring kits by model, but I expect you've already checked their site out. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi 43rd, thanks for the feedback, it's the larger ring diameter I'm after as the standard ring will be too small for my IS2. I'm also after the hull aperture diameter if anyone has one of the larger aperture tanks please?

Thanks
Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

http://www.rc-panzer-shop.de/Leopard-2A6-turret-ring
According to this source, the leopard 2 from HL has a 138 mm (13.8cm) turret ring.. That's probably correct. However, finding the aperture means having a model to hand to measure..and I don't. :thumbdown:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

But.. o- i'm guessing the outer ring containing the gear teeth is similar in all proportions to other models (after all, they mostly use the same drive motor), with the exception of overall diameter. So the gap between the the peak of a tooth and the edge of the aperture rim would be around 4mm. Thus X2 = 8mm, and so the actual aperture diameter would be around 130mm.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks 43rd, that's the info I was looking for, it's definitely the right ring for my turret so I can bash on and order one. The aperture isn't so much of a worry as I will printing the various rings for the turret and hull, and I'm even pondering a roller bearing mounting, because that turret is now getting weighty with all the milliput and car body filler and I'm not finished yet - I still have the gun barrel and associated elevate/recoil to add. :crazy: :/

Many thanks again

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Alwyn Hallo,
I obviously know you make as much of your creations yourself as you can but -------------
http://www.rctank.de
sell both sizes of 360 degree turret rings in metal with bearings,
And DKLM sell metal turret motors complete with plug to attach to the control board.
Just a thought :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Shaun for the info, that could be really useful. :clap: :thumbup:

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Dave sells those metal rotation motors/gear boxes.

http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p64 ... _Tank.html

Mick.
A quick peek at Dave's DKLM listings only shows the turret motor, Mick. Elsewhere under a-'Turret ring' search term you'll only find plastic examples. Maybe he had the metal version, but unless it's hiding, it's not there right now...
http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c8/DKLM.html

Return to “General Questions”