• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

Metal or plastic?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby bikerdude » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Which tracks are best for running on grass? I'm going to upgrade to metal gearboxs and drive wheels, was going to do the tracks as well, but I've got a feeling I read somewhere that the plastic tracks were better on grass?

Thanks.

bikerdude
Private

Postby leopardgreece » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Metal [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Στάλθηκε από το SM-P605 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
leopardgreece
Corporal

Postby Model Builder 4 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Metal tracks offer a more realistic look ie sagging and as they are heavier can give more traction but they dig in more on grass especially while turning which can cause them to have an effect on the gearboxes by putting more stress on them, personally if you are going to use your tank mainly on grass I would stick with plastic tracks :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Model Builder 4
Corporal

Postby Tiggr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Metal every time :thumbup:
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Postby leopardgreece » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Metal anywhere ....!!!

Στάλθηκε από το SM-P605 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
leopardgreece
Corporal

Postby jarndice » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Do you intend to fight your Tank or do you get a lot of enjoyment from showing it off with the odd drive over the lawn?
If you fight your Tank then you want Plastic everything, the lighter the better,
Otherwise fit metal tracks especially to a Panther/Tiger 1 or 2,
As already mentioned a pair of metal tracks properly set up with the correct amount of sag looks GREEAATT,
You must never forget that fitting Metal tracks imposes great strain on the whole of the transmission, So metal wheels, metal rollers, metal gearboxes, metal sprockets and metal idlers are pretty much essential if you want to have a Reliable as well as an accurate Tank.
Shaun.

jarndice
Captain

Postby bikerdude » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:47 pm

This will probably upset some, but looks wise, I don't really care, it's more about durability and reliability. We've got 3 tanks, 1 for me and 1 for each son, I've already upgraded mine to metal gearboxes, which has made it noticeably slower, but it seems to cope better with slopes and climbing over things now.

The kids are 5 and 2, so their tanks are taking a lot of abuse. 5y/o has a tiger, 2y/o has a snow leopard. The tiger is already making horrible noises from the gearboxes when trying to turn very tight on grass, and somehow, part of the drive gear on the snow leopard has broken off. So was initially going to just get new metal gearboxes for the tiger, and some replacement metal drive gears for the snow leopard.

Found some of the black gearboxes for the tiger for £30, but the only metal drive gear I can see for the snow leopard comes as a set including metal tracks for £65.

I then started thinking that if the tiger gearboxes are slipping already, the snow leopard probably will too soon, but metal gearboxes for that are £70, then I'd feel I should get the metal drive wheels for my other some tank as well. And then if metal tracks are better I'd want them on mine, another £65...

Suddenly my cheapish alternative for them to play with when we can't got to the boating lake is getting to be even more expensive than the boats!

Would it really need all metal idlers etc? Or would I get away with the metal gearboxes, drive wheels and tracks?

They're not really used for actual fighting, just driving around and over things, in a mainly grass garden on a slope, with a bit of bark, and they seem to like driving them over the 2" wooden fence between the bark and grass...

bikerdude
Private

Postby jarndice » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:03 pm

If young children are driving then it must be Plastic everything including gearboxes, Plastic tracks and wheels, :thumbup:
They will outlast any Tank using Metal transmissions.
They will be infinitely lighter and less stressed throughout,
Oh and quite a bit cheaper. :haha:
Shaun.

jarndice
Captain

Postby bikerdude » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Not sure on that, only had the tiger 1 week and the gearboxes are already well on their way to the bin... I think metal 1's would only have to last 4 weeks before they became cheaper... for the tiger anyway. Snow leopard is still ok ATM, apart from part of the side missing from 1 of the drive wheels.

bikerdude
Private

Postby hawkeye3guns » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 am

Hi Mate
As a club we have three "have a go" tanks for the kids at shows. 2 tiger's and a walter bulldog they started as basic all plastic tanks, but as you said the gearboxes stated to make loud slipping noises quite quickly so we changed them to the black steel gearboxes from Forgebear's ( about £20.00 a pair ). They seam to handle the abuse with no problems so far apart from the rear idlers are now showing a little wear, but I have bushed them with a brass insert and they are okay again at the moment. LoL.
Hope this is of any help
Denzil
hawkeye3guns
Sergeant

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:50 am

Metal gearboxes and plastic tracks. Metal tracks put strain on everything else.

tomhugill
Lieutenant

Postby Tiggr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Interesting opinions above.

My first Tiger was the all plastic HL version (long gone now).
In action it was far too fast, no resemblance to the real thing at all.

Even the metal versions I have now look completely ridiculous when you put them in a "power spin" (Except the HL "pro" King Tiger which can't t even do a power spin unless it is on a smooth surface such as the kitchen floor).

If I watched a battle of 1:16 tanks would I be disappointed ?
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Tiggr wrote:Interesting opinions above.

My first Tiger was the all plastic HL version (long gone now).
In action it was far too fast, no resemblance to the real thing at all.

Even the metal versions I have now look completely ridiculous when you put them in a "power spin" (Except the HL "pro" King Tiger which can't t even do a power spin unless it is on a smooth surface such as the kitchen floor).

Yes.

tomhugill
Lieutenant

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Tiggr wrote:Interesting opinions

All the tank battles I have seen on youtube are so fake and toy like that makes me lose interest on batling.

People seems to be more concerned on winning than playing realisticly... So it has no sense to me.

Answering your questions, for me, metal tracks are a must in some models like the tamiya king tiger (worst tracks I have ever seen) but some of them like the tamiya sherman are more than enough.
Rad_Schuhart
Sergeant

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:17 pm

IR battling isn't realistic however it's great fun to partake in!

tomhugill
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I've read that these new tamiya gearboxes are more controllable, as well as the aftermarket tamiya ones that sell for over £200, but they also say they're 50 to 1 gear ratio, shame there isn't a limiter built into the electronics. It's little wonder our tanks get track problems, especially Heng-Long with their just under 40 to 1 gear ratios.
For me, although stock HL motors can struggle a bit with metal tracks, noticeable by how long a full charge lasts against running plastic, I feel the extra weight gives more of a realistic run over rough ground, the tank doesn't wobble about so much like a toy, especially when going slowly.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I've read that these new tamiya gearboxes are more controllable, as well as the aftermarket tamiya ones that sell for over £200, but they also say they're 50 to 1 gear ratio, shame there isn't a limiter built into the electronics. It's little wonder our tanks get track problems, especially Heng-Long with their just under 40 to 1 gear ratios.
For me, although stock HL motors can struggle a bit with metal tracks, noticeable by how long a full charge lasts against running plastic, I feel the extra weight gives more of a realistic run over rough ground, the tank doesn't wobble about so much like a toy, especially when going slowly.

Mick.

Which new and after market Tamiya gearboxes? Do you have any details?

tomhugill
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I'll try and find what I stumbled on, but knowing you and most on here, they're probably not new to you, I'm talking about the single motor complete units.

Mick
Son of a gun-ner

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:10 pm

These ones.
http://www.dklmrc.com/product/pdsgb

Sorry, I thought tamiya also made them :{ :{ :{
Can't find the original site I found, they were much more expensive, and said they were for tamiya, I guess I put two and two together :{

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner

Postby Dusty Steppes » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:11 pm

The best performer I have for running on grass is a plastic Taigen early Tiger I. The drive sprockets and idlers were upgraded to metal, it has the four shaft steel gears, and the electronics were upgraded with a Clark Tk22. The tracks and roadwheels are plastic and it works flawlessly on grass. I use a Turnigy 9x to control it and I have the radio programmed so that when you make a hard turn the inside track reverses just enough too act as a brake to lock the track and the tank pivots. The radio is also programmed to give a realistic turret rotation speed. The only thing the sticks on the radio are used for are driving, steering, and turret rotation. All the other functions are controlled by switches.

Dusty Steppes
Recruit

Next

Return to General Questions