Metal or plastic?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Re: Metal or plastic?

Post by bikerdude »

I have just, this morning, fitted metal tracks and drive sprockets to my bulldog, along with the already fitted metal gearboxes. I'm yet to find a supplier of metal idlers or road wheels for a bulldog, seems theres endless parts for the Tiger, but not for the Bulldog or Pershing.
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Post by Roboticus_Prime »

bikerdude wrote:I have just, this morning, fitted metal tracks and drive sprockets to my bulldog, along with the already fitted metal gearboxes. I'm yet to find a supplier of metal idlers or road wheels for a bulldog, seems theres endless parts for the Tiger, but not for the Bulldog or Pershing.
Luckily, the Bulldog and Pershing have the same running gear. The only difference is the Pershing's auto tensioning front idler arms. The components can sometimes be found on ebay, aliexpress, or tankarmy.com

A warning about adding metal suspension to the Pershing. You'll need to make sure that the track runs strait and with a tight enough tension, or this will happen:

RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Here's my build thread for mine.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17993

Since the Pershing is not very popular for some reason, there's not a whole lot of info about building in 1/16 RC. I did get a lot of advice from the guys at RCU, but I still had to figure a lot of this out on my own.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Found you some metal idlers.
I've purchased from this guy in Hong Kong, and was very happy with the service.
But obviously if you choose to go with him, it's at your own risk.
He says to ask about other items, or you can look through his endless stock for your road wheels lol.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/182082557569?_mwBanner=1

Mick.

P.S. you say metal gearboxes, if they are the white metal type, they may not be strong enough for these type of motors, you'll need steel.
Thanks, funnily enough thats who I've ordered the tensioner for the Tiger from, and I spent nearly an hour looking through all their adverts looking for Bulldog stuff, completely missed those road wheels! Though they will have to wait for now, can't afford that at the moment. I assume it is 'road wheels' all the way along, so would need 6 pairs, or do you reckon a pair is the 2 halves of 1 wheel? Added to my watch list.
Roboticus_Prime wrote:
bikerdude wrote:I have just, this morning, fitted metal tracks and drive sprockets to my bulldog, along with the already fitted metal gearboxes. I'm yet to find a supplier of metal idlers or road wheels for a bulldog, seems theres endless parts for the Tiger, but not for the Bulldog or Pershing.
Luckily, the Bulldog and Pershing have the same running gear. The only difference is the Pershing's auto tensioning front idler arms. The components can sometimes be found on ebay, aliexpress, or tankarmy.com

A warning about adding metal suspension to the Pershing. You'll need to make sure that the track runs strait and with a tight enough tension, or this will happen:

Whats happened there? Has it ripped a tyre off the wheel? I think the Tiger and Pershing will be staying with plastic tracks and wheels, just metal gearboxes. The plastic is holding up well with the kids and if they do manage to break it, it's cheap enough to replace.

Nice build log, I'll read the rest later.
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

bikerdude wrote: Whats happened there? Has it ripped a tyre off the wheel? I think the Tiger and Pershing will be staying with plastic tracks and wheels, just metal gearboxes. The plastic is holding up well with the kids and if they do manage to break it, it's cheap enough to replace.

Nice build log, I'll read the rest later.
That's exactly what happened. Several times before I got the tracks aligned.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Found you some metal idlers.
I've purchased from this guy in Hong Kong, and was very happy with the service.
But obviously if you choose to go with him, it's at your own risk.
He says to ask about other items, or you can look through his endless stock for your road wheels lol.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/182082557569?_mwBanner=1

Mick.

P.S. you say metal gearboxes, if they are the white metal type, they may not be strong enough for these type of motors, you'll need steel.
That pic looks like one idler that's been split into it's two halves.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Here's where I usually find parts for the Pershing and Bulldog.

http://tankarmy.com/heng-long-tank/inde ... pcohjsf267

Parts tend to be cheaper, but the international shipping is high. So, it's better to buy a bunch of stuff at once.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Roboticus_Prime wrote:Here's where I usually find parts for the Pershing and Bulldog.

http://tankarmy.com/heng-long-tank/inde ... pcohjsf267

Parts tend to be cheaper, but the international shipping is high. So, it's better to buy a bunch of stuff at once.

I really need to work on my searching skills! I do believe I stumbled upon that site while looking for metal sprockets for the Pershing, even with the p&p it worked out cheaper than from the 1 uk supplier I could find. Now I must resist the temptation to place a stupidly big order for many many parts... I do like the look of that 360 turret rotation too, just don't know which version I'd need. Looks like I'll need to sell a few of my model boats to free up some cash!

Return to “General Questions”